Newfoundland Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lerpy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was recently in Newfoundland for some wreck diving out of Conception Bay South, with Ocean Quest Adventures. This is my second trip to Newfoundland diving, my last trip as in August of 2016.

The wrecks in Newfoundland are beautiful and I was surprised at how blue the water was and the great vis on the wrecks. There are 4 wrecks in Conception Bay, all of which were torpedoed during WWII by two U-Boats.

Depth of the wrecks goes from around 100' on the shallow wreck to 160' to the floor on the deepest wreck. They are best dove as technical dives, however there is lots to see within recreational limits as well. Bow and stern guns still adorn the wrecks, as well the Marconi Room is still in good condition on one of the Rose Castle. Huge props and rudders are still in shape, and there are plenty of rooms and passage ways to explore on tall the wrecks.

Trips to Newfoundland often include a day of chasing icebergs or whales if its the right time of the season. Both times I have gone the group has also enjoyed an evening in St John's at the many pubs and listening to good local music. The staff at Ocean Quest are warm and welcoming and provide a memorable experience.

Have to add, this is the North Atlantic so the water may look blue like the Caribbean but it certainly is not warm like it, this is definitely cold water diving, but well worth it. Always a hot pot of soup in the galley on the boat after the dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom