Newer Than New in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Big 2 Fail

Contributor
Reaction score
Newer than new, because the OW course isn't until December when my wife and I will take it. Meanwhile, I'm reading everything I can get hold of. Can't think how I made it this far without scuba. I've had a lifetime in emergency services (police, fire, EMS, including high-angle rescue) and have played in ultralights and skydiving and grew up in the water.

So far, it looks like diving presents most of the same issues. Most people who get hurt or killed exceed their training or abilities, have a preventable hardware failure, and/or, at a point of critical decision making, go forward on hope alone, rather than realistic judgment or assume that they'll get away with it this time the way they did those times before. (Hey. They were immortal, right up to the point where they got killed.)

It's also pretty clear that there's no way in the short time in the OW course anyone can even try to pass along more than a tiny fraction of what you ought to know. Like a lot of such things, it's just a license to begin learning.

We spent some time in the pool making sure we would have no problem clearing a mask or mouth breathing without a mask. I was glad to hear my wife say the other day that she's starting to think of herself as a diver, because that means she's thinking about how things work and what can happen and how to deal with it. Turns out she has really good instincts about diving situations for picking the immediate problem to be dealt with first. We're old enough that we won't be doing anything too extreme, so it should be easy to keep it simple and be meticulous. Twelve days 'till we get started.

Welcome to the forums. Your statement about the OW course being like a learners permit is right on, and that's a great attitude to have. I've been doing this a long time and always feel like I improve or learn something new each dive. Joing this forum is a great place to get started and it will hopefully get you excited for your course. If you have the opportunity, check out our website Scuba diving books and apparel where you will find lots of great deals on gear, apparel, etc. Plus current news and information about the underwater world. Lots of Christmas gift ideas for the wife. By the way, LOVE the screen name!

Welcome to Scubaboard! Be sure to ask your shop/instructor about Aquarena/Spring Lake in San Marcos. If you and your wife want to dive regularly, best pond in the neighborhood.

Actually, we will be going there for part of OW and will sign up for the next science diving class after OW. When I was in high school in San Marcos back in the neolithic era, the primo summer job for boys was "Underwater Lawn Mower" there. For girls, it was working the underwater theater using a hookah as - what was the title? - Aquamaid? We regularly kayak the San Marcos River and usually put in at the whitewater park.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! :)

Did you know Texans have their own sub-forum? Texas Swamp Divers - ScubaBoard

Hope you meet some new friends there!

--- ex-pat Texan

Back
Top Bottom