Newbie with some basic questions, help is appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eugene1

New
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the underwater photography world so apologies if these are basic questions. After reading information online, I seem to find on a lot of websites that f/8 is recommended for underwater photography with wide angle shots. However, I don't get it....

- I am planning to buy an Olympus 8mm f/1.8 fisheye lens. Isn't the f/1.8 very useful to keep ISO low and get a higher quality image? Why would I want to shoot this lens at f/8 considering that the fisheye has a lot of 'natural' depth of field, even at f/1.8..? What is the reason that high aperture numbers are recommended for underwater work?

- Furthermore, the use of strobes is also recommended. What about shots close to the surface? For example close up fisheye shots of sharks/dolphins near the surface? Isn't that nicer with natural light? Or is a strobe always recommended?

- Lastly, when making split images (top/under) during daylight hours, are strobes needed? Or only when the 'under' shot is too dark?

Hope someone can help me with this!
Thanks in advance :)

Sort of in-order.
1. F1.8 has very shallow DOF even on a wide angle lens. To get sharp corners f8 is appropriate. The reason that the 1.8 is nice is that is the aperture that the lens uses to focus. I will try to post some images (on land) showing DOF fall off with aperture.
2. Strobes are necessary if you are trying to have a foreground subject that is lit in front of a wreck or reef. Of course natural light at the surface is a great way to shoot but for shooting a fan say deep in front of a wreck, you need the strobe. Many really wide wreck or reef shots are shot only in natural light but strobes definitely help with many (NOT ALL) shots.
3. Over-unders typically have a very bright over and a much less bright under. If the under part has a definite subject then a strobe helps, otherwise a variable filter can help.

Bill

I agree with everything bvanant said but want to clarify one point (which was implied) and that is: color. With natural lighting the water absorbs all the red in fairly shallow depths with yellow being the next to go. A red filter can help a lot to restore the lost color at depth and a typical strobe with give you nice, colorful results.

Personally I generally like to get as much depth of field as possible so I shoot with a higher F Stop. But heck, sometimes getting something's eye in focus and everything else out of focus can be very effective. It's been a while since I did any still photography underwater but I seem to recall using f11 a lot. But that was with film. Digital is still somewhat of a mystery to me.

Many thanks Bill & James, your advice is highly appreciated!
I will be shooting with a m4/3 camera, therefore f/1.8 will give equal DoF as f/3.5 on full frame. Thus, am I right stating that I could potentially shoot the fisheye at f/2.8-4 (FF f/5.6-8) to still get nice DoF underwater? I thought the f/1.8 would be very handy with dolphins portraits (no background) that move quite fast.
A question about the red filter James: can't I adjust this in RAW afterwards? Or is that very tricky?
Thanks again both! :)

White balance certainly works in raw, but getting the color close is pretty much important for good photos. I don't understand why you think f/1.8 would be better for dolphins than f/6 say. It all depends on the available light. You won't get "nice" DOF until you get to 5.6 or 8 if you want the corners of your frame sharp. I will post some pictures tomorrow with the 8 mm fisheye.
For a red filter just get one mounted to a flip adapter.
Bill

Generally when you use a wide angle lens you want a large depth of field, usually from the subject to infinity. So you would shoot at a higher f stop of at least 8. Also wide angle lenses usually work better optically at f stops of 8 or higher. The big deal of the 1.8 minimum f stop is the lens focuses wide open. The low f stop allows more precise focus under low light.

Now photographers will use low f stops of 4 or less with macro lenses. Macro lenses are close up lenses. Macro lenses tend to be very good optically so they perform wide open. Often the subject in a close up has a cluttered and distracting background so you can emphasize the subject by using a low f stop. But that is a different thing entirely.

I would suggest that you do topside shooting with your camera. It is really important to understand f stops, iso, shutter speed, lenses, focal length, depth of field, composition and lighting. Scuba diving is complex enough without trying to learn photography in a low light and murky conditions. It really helps to know what you are doing before you dive,

Thanks a lot guys! I fully understand the importance of DoF and how aperture affects it. The reason I thought the f/1.8 would be handy is that it allows for more light and therefore a higher shutter speed (fast dolphins at the surface). Hence I could use a lower ISO if not using strobes. I know that ultrawides/fisheye automatically have a lot of DoF, therefore I didn't understand why f/1.8 could not be used for fast moving subjects (since the lens has a large DoF of itself). Furthermore m4/3 f/1.8 has equal DoF as f/3.5 on FF. But I guess I sould stick to f/5.6-8.0 then, thanks a lot!! :)

I think your assumption about DOF is not as warranted as you think. By all means get the 1.8 lens (it is spectacular) but don't expect sharp corners at f/1.8.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom