Newbie stupid question of the day . . 1st Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so 53 dives in and my obsession turns to first stage regulators. (You techies can stop rolling your eyes cuz it took me so long to get to first stages! :D)

I have an aqualung titan lx. Is doing the job. No complaints.

However, I am now looking at an AI (air integrated) dive computer which means if I want to continue to have my SPG as a back up, I need 2 HP connections. Granted, I can use the dive computer without the transmitter attached and continue with my current SPG setup, but why have an AI if you can't use it. I could also use the computer as intended without an SPG but the paranoid part of me is screaming REDUNDANCY - not that I don't trust computers, but well, I don't trust computers.

Also, I'm currently setup as a yoke/o-ring but would like to consider a DIN setup. The whole bursting o-ring thing worries me more then it should. Figure if I'm looking at a new setup, I might as well address the DIN thing.

So, I need advice on first stages. As usual, I'm cheap so please don't suggest a $1K setup. It isn't even an option for me. Probably max out around $500-$600.

I dive various environments (55 degrees to tropics) and travel to dive, in case that matters.

Any and all advice welcome! And please tell me if there is something I'm forgetting to consider in the evaluation. Cuz I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!

Ok, so 53 dives in and my obsession turns to first stage regulators. (You techies can stop rolling your eyes cuz it took me so long to get to first stages! :D)

However, I am now looking at an AI (air integrated) dive computer which means if I want to continue to have my SPG as a back up, I need 2 HP connections. Granted, I can use the dive computer without the transmitter attached and continue with my current SPG setup, but why have an AI if you can't use it. I could also use the computer as intended without an SPG but the paranoid part of me is screaming REDUNDANCY - not that I don't trust computers, but well, I don't trust computers.

Also, I'm currently setup as a yoke/o-ring but would like to consider a DIN setup. The whole bursting o-ring thing worries me more then it should. Figure if I'm looking at a new setup, I might as well address the DIN thing.

So, I need advice on first stages. As usual, I'm cheap so please don't suggest a $1K setup. It isn't even an option for me. Probably max out around $500-$600.

I dive various environments (55 degrees to tropics) and travel to dive, in case that matters.

Any and all advice welcome! And please tell me if there is something I'm forgetting to consider in the evaluation. Cuz I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!

I'd say forget about the AI and just use a manual SPG. But that's probably just the "techie" in me. :D

How about we start by looking at your reasons for wanting an AI?

I'm pretty fond of Atomic regulators. The Z2 first/second stage can be had for around $400 new, and if you're a member of the Scuba Toys forum, Scuba Toys will give you 10% off the order.
I've used them down to 52 degrees and never had any issues. And yes, it has two HP ports :)

Look at the Apeks range. Very nice reg, within your price range. For cold water look at the XTX40 and up. You can get them in DIN or yoke. Apeks is owned by Aqua Lung so service should not be a problem.

I'm with Cave Diver....why not just get a non-AI computer and continue to use your SPG? The price difference between AI and non-AI is pretty huge, and if you're already used to using an SPG, I would just stick with that. Besides, you already mentioned that you don't trust computers :wink:

If you're set on the AI computer, I dive a Scubapro MK25 and it has multiple high pressure ports (I used to have an AI computer and an SPG....I sold the AI computer, btw). It has been dove down to 44F and never had any issues.

I don't know how many ports the MK17 has, but it's an environmentally sealed option.

Just get a Legend LX first stage with either the din setup or the din conversion. Problem solved.

Just get a Legend LX first stage with either the din setup or the din conversion.
snowflake4727:
Look at the Apeks range. ... You can get them in DIN or yoke. Apeks is owned by Aqua Lung so service should not be a problem.
Both are very good suggestions. If you like what you have, why not stay in the same 'family'? All you are looking for is a second HP port. I applaud your desire for redundancy. And, while diving a simple SPG is a good recommendation, I confess that keep my transmitter on one of my (doubles) Apeks regs, so I can use the AI function on my Vytec. It is a little more convenient to slightly rotate my wrist to read my pressure, than to unhook my SPG from the waist D-ring (especially with deco bottles clipped on). Not a big deal either way. If you go with an AI computer, why not have the benefit of the feature? As for DIN vs yoke, DIN is a great way to go. You won't regret having a DIN reg.

I've used the Titan LX down to some pretty deep depths, never had a problem. I still use it all the time, especially when my Legend LX is in for service.

Computers themselves are very reliable and accurate. I've been using the same computer for almost 10 years (Suunto favor) for all of my non-technical dives, never had a single problem. In 10 years, I've only needed 2 batteries. It's non air-integrated, so if the battery did fail, I can still get tank pressure. I use a Suunto cobra when I am doing a dive with Nitrox.

Some people love Wireless, some hate it. I'm of the hate it variety. Too much can go wrong. It's more batteries to worry about, more o-rings to fail, and certain camera setups interfere with the transmitter, making it useless.

Thanks!

I suggest an Aqualung Legend LX. Just like the titan, it is VERY easy to switch back and forth between yoke and DIN. I dive in the NE United States. Lots of times that means DIN. When I travel, it takes the shop about 5 minutes to convert my DIN setup to yoke and vice versa.

There is nothing wrong with having an AI and SPG. Its called redundancy and we use it in airplanes all the time. If one system malfunctions you have a backup. When your life depends on it, I like having backups.

I agree, unless the your gear becomes to cumbersome to manage, why not have more than one source of information available as backup.

I use a Scubapro MK25 first stage that will accomidate what you want to do, but as stated go with what you know you like.

Back
Top Bottom