Newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scricepaddy:
I noticed some people on the boat put their camera in the rinse bucket immediately upon boarding the boat. Why? What is the advantage?
To keep white spots from forming on lenses or dome ports you need to keep the camera wet. If you allow the salt to dry on you get permanent welded on spots that will not come off. Salt is also extremely corrosive to any metal on the camera and flash cords can get welded onto strobes etc.. I hope that answers your question... :06:
Loretta

In addition, salt crystals are sharp and will cut O-rings on shafts and seals. If at all possible, you never want to allow a camera to dry off if it has salt water on it. The water in the rinse tank is (should)be fresh water and dissolves the salt. If possible, I will soak my camera in warm water for 1/2 hr or more back at the room after a dive to remove any remaining salt. Another reason is the rinse tank is usually a somewhat protected place as opposed to on the deck where tank or weights could be dropped on the camera.

herman:
Another reason is the rinse tank is usually a somewhat protected place as opposed to on the deck where tank or weights could be dropped on the camera.

This must be the reason. I am talking about the trip out to the dive site not the return trip. Rinsing I understand. And I understand the protection from sitting on the deck. But still the tank water slooshed around a fair bit. It seemed a little "active" to be a protected enviroment.

Also keep in mind that on any boat trip, out or back, your equipment is subjected to sea spray, which means salt water spray can and will get all over everything. It's best for the camera to be sitting in relatively fresh water.

scricepaddy:
This must be the reason. I am talking about the trip out to the dive site not the return trip. Rinsing I understand. And I understand the protection from sitting on the deck. But still the tank water slooshed around a fair bit. It seemed a little "active" to be a protected enviroment.

True, but in reality if the housing and strobe can't take a little bumping around, it's not really sturdy enough to be used in a diving enviroment. I don't treat my equipment badly on purpose,but fact is, diving is a rough enviroment. The sloshing around actually is good in one respect, it makes sure the housing is rinsed well.

herman:
True, but in reality if the housing and strobe can't take a little bumping around, it's not really sturdy enough to be used in a diving enviroment. I don't treat my equipment badly on purpose,but fact is, diving is a rough enviroment. The sloshing around actually is good in one respect, it makes sure the housing is rinsed well.

ACK ACK!!!!!! NO!!! NO!!!!! NO!!!!!! I know I am shouting but this is important: NEVER EVER LEAVE YOUR HOUSED CAMERA IN A RINSE BUCKET WHILE THE BOAT IS MOVING!!!

phew, had to get that out of my system. RInse buckets are for rinsing, not storage. Dunk the camera in prior to diving to make sure no leaks, let it sit for a few minutes after the dive to rinse off, then get it out,.

Two main reasonss: (1) ports, domes and glass/acrylic. Ever see a rinse bucket with all the cameras bouncing around in there on top of eachother? Nuf said (2) Camera housings work with o rings. O rings are most effective under pressure, as pressure helps seat the oring. At 1 ATA, there is no water presseure to properly seat the oring. Again, those cameras banging around? Sure invitation to a flood. I've seen a few caused that way

Chris

I see your point, I stand beat up and will never treat my housing badly again. :)

ChrisM:
ACK ACK!!!!!! NO!!! NO!!!!! NO!!!!!! I know I am shouting but this is important: NEVER EVER LEAVE YOUR HOUSED CAMERA IN A RINSE BUCKET WHILE THE BOAT IS MOVING!!!
Chris

And I would add even when the boat isn't moving as the guy behind you is going to throw his camera or mask in there and bang your rig.

Handy tip - I take a soft sided 6 pack cooler with me on the boat. I can fill this with water and dunk my camera/strobes etc (it is too small for my whole oly rig at one time, but still works and it packs flat!). I can also put my camera in there (sans water) and it keeps it one temperature - helps reduce fogging potential. The extra padding it provides is also nice.

I always drop(place gently) my housing in the rinse tank when boarding the boat. It helps to keep it from fogging. And I suppose if I noticed any bubbles, I might be able to get the camera out before it was ruined.

However, all you still photographers should probably not do that with your fancy dome ports, I'm talking about my flat port VIDEO housing...and it's glass so no worries about scratching.

Back
Top Bottom