Newbie Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HammerNoMore

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Heading to Cozumel in a couple of weeks and this will be my first time using a camera (ok second time but the first was borrowed from a friend and already field tested).

My question is about test diving the housing. I'm using an Oly camera with their housing. I figure I'll be able to get in a shore dive on the afternoon I arrive before I hit the boat. What I was curious about is would test diving the housing down to say 30' be good enough to throw the camera in it for a deeper dive the next morning, or will I need to bring the housing down for a deep dive first to test?

Also, I'm more of a point 'n shoot kinda guy, not one who wants to bother with manual adjustments so I have a Stylus 400. Anyone have suggestions on what mode to put this camera in for the best results?

James

30ft should be deep enough for a test. Don't forget to put a 1-2# soft weight inside to counter the bouyancy. If all you have is a hard weight, wrap it in something to protect the insode of the housing.

Dee:
30ft should be deep enough for a test. Don't forget to put a 1-2# soft weight inside to counter the bouyancy. If all you have is a hard weight, wrap it in something to protect the insode of the housing.

Thanks Dee. I was hoping I wouldn't have to leave the camera behind for the first real dive :).

The camera weighs 5.8 oz, so I was planning on bringing down a 1lb soft weight with me.

James

I wasn't sure exactly how much it weighed! Wrap the weight in toilet paper or a paper towel. That way if there's even the teeniest amout of water getting in, you'll know it. Oh, and don't forget to use some dessicant for the condensation, if there's any.

Dee:
Wrap the weight in toilet paper or a paper towel. That way if there's even the teeniest amout of water getting in, you'll know it.

Excellent suggestion. I would have never thought of that :).

We aim to please! :D

If you can, put the weight in a baggie. I did it once without a baggie and though there was no water in the weight pouch, there was a bit of dust that came out. Not a big issue, but just a bit of a hassle nonetheless.

James,
I hate to say this but IMHO your best results with underwater photos will come from manual settings.

Gilligan:
James,
I hate to say this but IMHO your best results with underwater photos will come from manual settings.

I couldn't agree more. But for me fiddling with manual exposure, etc, is just more than I'm willing to do for a few snaps. I still want the best I can get from a point & shoot method.

James

warren_l:
If you can, put the weight in a baggie. I did it once without a baggie and though there was no water in the weight pouch, there was a bit of dust that came out. Not a big issue, but just a bit of a hassle nonetheless.

Good idea, Warren! The soft weights do shed some sort of 'dust' that I wouldn't want inside the housings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom