Newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robothell, I am not the strongest of swimmers. That was one of the reasons I wasn't sure I could do scuba diving. Fins make swimming so easy it's ridiculous. I didn't even use my arms. I used the mask/fins/snorkel and just kicked with my legs.

Also as others have said, take it easy. There is no rush. If I can do it despite being out of shape (I have a small belly), I'm sure your fiancee can easily do it.

in short. No.. but you can use any stroke.. so float around on your back moving slowly for abit if your struggeling.

Some agencies allow you to use a mask, fins and snorkel & go 300 yards, in lieu of the 200 yard swim. Your instructor is not looking for the next Olympic swimmer, the instructor is (among other things) watching to see your comfort in the water and how you handle yourself outside of your comfort zone.

Each instructor may structure the program within given standards. In a multi-week class, if the student didn't succeed the first night, we would retest later in the class. Your fiance (with your help, of course) can practice ahead of time...& don't forget the 10 minute float/drown proof/tread water requirement.

just relax and have fun :) it's not timed and you're in a pool. I had to tread water for 3 mins and then do the 200m swim to shore in the ocean with weights and no fins with people watching me from shore. Like everyone here has stated, it's to see how comfy you are in the water.

Congratulations on being certified!

I'll second (or third or fourth!) what others have said about swimming on your back. It's much easier than swimming face down in the water. I wanted to do my swim with mask and snorkel, but my confined water instructor assured me that PADI didn't allow that (looked it up when I got home, and, of course, he was wrong). Just take it nice and easy. I always swim on my back when I have a long way to go and can do 400-500 yards without too much trouble.

Kristopher

Back
Top Bottom