Newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypnotix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
Heading off to the GBR next week to do plenty of diving. Can't wait!

I'm not real experienced in photography but I would like to take some cool general pictures of the stuff I see for memories, etc.

I have a decent digital camera (nothing too special.. just 7.2 megapixel W55) and decided I would just get an Ikelite housing for it.

Sony W50, W55 & W70 Underwater Housing

I purchased that and an external filter but I didn't get a strobe for it (due to lack of funds). Are my pictures going to look horrible or you think I will be okay without it?

No they will not turn out horrible. Most people started with a simple set-up and no strobe. I know I did. Just turn your flash off unless it is macro (close up) that you are shooting. The flash will highlight the particulate in the water creating backscatter. That is the biggest advice I can give. Did the Ikelite housing come with a built in flash diffuser? If not, you could try to put some tape in front of the built in flash (on the housing) to help diffuse the light and prevent over exposure and some backscatter issues. Second, wherever posible get closer, then closer then closer. Then smile and get even closer.....assuming you have not yet chased away the subject :D. Try not to zoom unless you absolutely have to and make sure that your buoyancy is 110% in check before you consider pulling out the camera.

Dive safe and have fun.

No they will not turn out horrible. Most people started with a simple set-up and no strobe. I know I did. Just turn your flash off unless it is macro (close up) that you are shooting. The flash will highlight the particulate in the water creating backscatter. That is the biggest advice I can give. Did the Ikelite housing come with a built in flash diffuser? If not, you could try to put some tape in front of the built in flash (on the housing) to help diffuse the light and prevent over exposure and some backscatter issues. Second, wherever posible get closer, then closer then closer. Then smile and get even closer.....assuming you have not yet chased away the subject :D. Try not to zoom unless you absolutely have to and make sure that your buoyancy is 110% in check before you consider pulling out the camera.

Dive safe and have fun.

It does have a built in diffuser. So, turn the flash off? For some reason I guess I just thought I should keep it on and get close haha. See, I told you I was a newbie :)

Hopefully I will have some great pics to share when I get back in three weeks. Should be a cool trip.

You can try to leave the flash on for a wide angle shot and see how well the diffuser works. The idea behind turning the flash off is so you do not light up the particulate directly in front of you and get backscatter. The diffuser may spread the light out enough to prevent backscatter but you would really need to try it for yourself and see how you like the results. My suggestion would be keep the flash on for up close and off for far away.....but try it a couple different ways and see what you think.

BTW, I spent a week in Bonaire where my strobe was failing and I still got some good shots opnce I added the colour back in using CS3. It is not foolproof but helps a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom