Newbie Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps personal statistics would be far more useful as they would include number of hours logged. I imagine the statistics are better for SB members than the general diving public as we probably dive more and thus become better divers but if enough people post their own personal history, we will probably get a more accurate number than we would get from PADI or DAN.

As for me, I am an experienced diver and started with a university scuba program which included far more training than the current standard. I went on and took the next class in the sequence from the university which got me a NAUI Gold Master Diver card. I've since gone on and completed the four classes in the cave diving sequence along with advanced nitrox/decompression procedures.

Of my 300+ logged hours, the bulk of them over the last 3 years, I've had two injuries/accidents. My first was a rapid uncontrolled ascent during my first drysuit dive. I was only down for 4 minutes so no injury resulted but had I been down longer, I might have needed to go for a chamber ride. My second was a broken toe from climbing out of a cave with over a hundred pounds of gear on. Of course I'm not counting the numerous ear infections, painful sinus squeezes or a urinary tract infection (p-valve).

Overall I would categorize my diving as well within the limits of my training and thus fairly low risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom