Newbie photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here are my photos on my recent trip to Cozumel. I was using a Panasonic DMC-TS2 with underwater housing with no strobe. I am hoping to get a YS-01 for X-mas and I know that will improve my shot's a bunch. Any help or pointers will be appreciated! For the most part I was using the camera in underwater mode.

PhotoWorks: Album Slideshow - Cozumel

Loved the photos. They look great even without a strobe. Thanks for the link.

Food for thought: I am without a strobe at the current time and have found editing UW photos by using software to "add in some red" can improve the look of photos taken without a strobe. I like the results but the problem is that it takes a lot of time.

Just some general photo tips.

Have a read up on Rule of thirds... lots of info on the internet about it. I'd work a bit on the composition. There's images there that come across a bit bland, just because of the positioning of the subjects, you can make them stand out a bit better with good compositional work.

Not sure what controls the camera has, but see if you can set the white balance yourself, the underwater setting looks rather cold.

Also the shutter speed looks a bit slow on some shots, this should disappear with a strobe though.

HTH

Thinking about composition underwater, the first "rule" or suggestion that I always follow is to position yourself so you are looking up at the subject. Everything else can usually be fixed a bit by cropping.

Thanks for posting these! I want to go......:(

For first pictures those are nice, you will always remember that trip because of your pictures. It looks like most of your dives were fairly shallow, so you had lots of light from the surface. Also most of your subjects were far enough away that a strobe may not have helped. Keep working on it, listen to the advice you get from the folks on the board and you will take better pictures as you keep diving. Every time you will learn something new. Get closer, unless you are wanting a wide angle shot. Use a software package to bring in some of the colors that you don't see now, they are there, I use PS Elements, but there are others out there that are good, too. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom