Newbie Package Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gil Middlebrooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My LDS has given us OW students a $50.00 off coupon toward a scuba package. The shop (Divers Supply) has a "value" package with basic Sea Elite (think "store brand") gear for $369.00. I plan to do some quarry dives here this fall; at least one off-shore dive to a beginner site in Charleston, SC, if the weather holds; maybe a Florida Springs weekend, and more quarry dives in the spring. If I get 7-10 dives in before I start making more "long-term" purchases, I feel like I will have paid for this stuff and can have it as a back-up set or a hand-me-down set if my college-age son decides to get into the sport next spring.

My other option is to go ahead and shell out for the regulator/octopus/console and just rent BCDs until I figure out what to buy that will last.

Thoughts? Redirection?

Thanks.

I don't care much for the BCD, but the other stuff will serve you just fine. I really prefer back inflate. See how muchfor them to upgrade you to a Zeagle Express Tech.

Why the hate on jacket style? Sometimes back inflate seems to be a little unbalanced especially at the surface and if not horizontal underwater it can spin you around.

Most people who try back inflates don't like them at first but get used to using them and then like them.

For an initial starter package, the price is really nice. Regs probably don't breathe incredible at depth but I think it gives you a great point to start at and see what pieces you like or don't like before jumping to more expensive gear without first knowing what you need.

For example, if you're comfortable with the bcd but could maybe use a better breather then you can do that. Or if you've tried back inflates and love them, do that.

This price gives you a lot of room to work on accessories too, which will take up a good portion of your money. After fins, mask, and computer you're still gonna be spending some serious cash so might as well save it where you can.

Upgrade to Mares ranger reg for $50 doesnt seem too bad.

EDIT: I'm located in Raleigh so hopefully youre on NCDivers

Also, see if he will let you try the package out or maybe you've already used some of that gear during your OW class?

IMO

Back inflate will help you aid you in more streamlined position. Also a lot of people do not like the squeeze from the side of the BC and can cause you to roll side to side. A lot of people like Backplate/wing systems. as it helps in shedding the lbs from a weight belt or weight pockets. Also more adapatble to things you may want to do later in diving and can save you money from needing to spend twice. Such as adding a canister light/ scooters/ diving doubles etc.
I would try out one of each if possible before purchasing so you know what you like. For the BP/w I like Halcyon Elcipse. Other great ones out there are Diverite transpac/Hollis/DSS/HOG.

If your looking to purchase regs mae sure you buy one that is suitable for the diving you will be doing. If your only diving warm waters wont matter too much but if you plan on diving cold waters you want a reg that can handle them. (Scubapro MK17/G250V -- Atomic M1 --) are awesome regs. Others to look at are the HOG brand of regs which are about 1/2 the price and from what I have heard have all the performance.

It's a good setup for the price.
You could ask the seller if they'd let you upgrade the BCD if you don't like the one being offered but for a beginner/intermediate set up, it'll do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom