Newbie observations & SD880

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In May I went to Little Cayman for a week stay + diving at Little Cayman Beach Resort (highly recommended). Before the trip I had been debating about bringing a camera and if so which one.

I finally decided to use our above water pocket camera, a Canon SD880, and bought a Canon housing for it. I know it doesn't have RAW, or anything in the way of manual settings. But then I also didn't buy a strobe either. And despite all that, the mostly so-so pictures I got were not the camera's fault :D

Most of my shots were either "fish butts" or "where's Waldo" style pictures :). I.e. fish swimming away or a shot of something that required quite a bit of searching/zooming to find the "subject". But I got a bunch of decent "underwater tourist" pictures and a few that were a bit better. No way near the good stuff I often see posted here, but not too bad either.

There were 2 main causes for these less than stellar shots:

1) my buoyancy and trim control: I'm pretty good when comparing myself to other divers I've seen. But much more is needed for close-up photography. I saw a couple of UW photographers with less regard for the UW environment using sticks or rattlers to support themselves on the reef (saw worse than that actually). But I refused to risk touching anything just to get the shot.

2) white balance: I should have trusted my manual white balance more. But the screen on the SD880 shows the review picture *much* more red than it comes out when viewed on the computer. So for the most part I used the Canon UW setting, which works well to about 20-25' on a sunny day. But with clouds or diving deeper, it gets the blues.

All in all I had fun with the camera. I was mostly diving with a camera rather than diving for the purpose of taking pictures. And for that the little Canon worked out well. The Canon housing was easy to use after a bit of above water practice. And when not taking pictures I clipped the camera to the D-ring on my crotch strap where it was out of the way.

As for other observations - well ...

- it seems that some divers with cameras think that them taking pictures take priority over what I consider proper etiquette UW. For instance, it is apparently ok to risk or actually damage surrounding coral if the subject is sufficiently interesting. It is apparently also ok to touch/lift marine life to get a better angle for the shot.

- it seems that just carrying a camera underwater causes some divers/photographers to think they have first dips on anything interesting. I was pushed and kicked and had my mask kicked off by stampeding "photogs".

- when done monopolizing the subject it is apparently also ok to happily swim away with brisk flutter kicks silting up or plain "flushing" away said subject (tiny pipe horse in a tuft of seaweed).

Now off the soapbox to say. It was fun, but when the members of the board recommend holding off on bringing a camera until you have better control underwater, they're indeed correct.

Here are links to a few of the "better" pictures:

Very cooperative turtle:
http://handm.smugmug.com/photos/565566190_Pw9Ft-L-1.jpg

Needle nose puffer - I think ...
http://handm.smugmug.com/photos/565560020_U8RV6-L-1.jpg

Flamenco tongue nudibranch:
http://handm.smugmug.com/photos/565558353_2Q2qb-L-1.jpg

Grouper and Green Moray hunting team:
http://handm.smugmug.com/photos/565558005_HcPom-L-1.jpg

UW landscape:
http://handm.smugmug.com/photos/565590364_sZcG6-L-1.jpg

All these photos are straight out of the camera with no further editing.

Henrik

Last edited:
I think some people have poorer etiquette than others with or without camera, but when people first get cameras, I think often they are really excited and want to get a photo of everything they see. I'm sure they don't intend to be selfish, but can be hard to see the situation objectively when you are in it.

I haven't been taking photos underwater that long, but I do it pretty much every dive. Once I started getting a little better, I became more interested in taking better photos and less interested in taking photos of everything I see. Now, I'm not always in the swarm of photographers around something cool because I can tell from a distance that I'm not going to get a good shot. Also, switching to DSLR, I'm using either macro or wide angle, so depending on what the cool thing is, sometimes I don't have the right lens to shoot it anyways.

Of course, I'm sure every now and then I'm in there hogging the good photo op!

I think some people have poorer etiquette than others with or without camera,

Good point. And it was only an issue when I had to stay with the dive guide/group due to not having my own buddy. So the crowding was at least part of the problem.

But like I said - mostly I had a lot of fun with it, and the camera served my purpose very well ... for now at least :)

Henrik

I was JUST thinking about this when I went snorkeling yesterday. I was alone and had planned to take pictures with my old camera, but it just so happened that it broke...thank God I have my new one on the way, 'cause if not I would be in serious withdrawals.. lol! Anyway, ticked off as I was about the camera, I still spent 2 hours just snorkeling and looking around. There were a few more people out there then normal (lots of kids) and I found myself getting irritated with peple bumping into me and worse yet, kids climbing up the jetties to jump off! As I continued and would come up on another person, I was always the one to swim all out of the way and go around. I wondered, is there some sort of proper "swim around etiquette"?!? LOL.. ALSO, what's up with the people actually using nets and catchin' the flipping fish?!? That really irritated me. As I was lounging on the beach for a minute.. some kid caught something he kept hollering was a "baby shark" (LOL @ that.. ahh, to be a kid again). But, he kept it out the water for SO long to show everybody.. I finally spoke up and said it may die soon if he doesn't put it back and he did.

Anyway... any place I can find a list of any official rules?!? LOL...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom