Newbie needs stobe advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmille6

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently started the hobby of underwater photography and bought a Canon S40 and WP-DC300. I have taken a couple of dive trips and have come to the reality that I need a strobe in get better pictures. I have been looking into the YS-90 Auto because it seems much less complicated than the others I have read about. I don't want to spend my entire dive staring at a camera so I am looking a stobe that some good pics with but not spend the entire dive setting the various settings on the camera. Does any one have any suggestions without spending in excess of $600. Am I making is more complicated then it actually is?? Should I just buy a YS-90 DX?? Or look at a auto sensing strobe? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Brett

I'd go with the YS90DX....I did! It's very simple to use and you don't change the settings near as much as you think. And even then it's a simple turn of an easy to reach dial. I don't think I change settings more than 3-4 times during a whole dive.

I've not heard of very many people using the YS90AUTO. The only photos I have seen from one came from a very experienced photographer whose main goal was to review that specific strobe so his entire dives were focused on the strobe. In other words, he wasn't one of us down there, doing a normal dive and taking 'regular' pictures.

If I remember correctly, the settings on the strobe have to correspond with the same aperture settings on the camera. I don't know about you but I don't need another set of numbers to have to match up before my strobe will work properly.

Just my 2¢

Another option that you might consider, is the use of a video light. I don't know if your camera has the ability to take video also, but if it does and you want to shoot video, then something like this might solve the problem...

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/3super_cvlite.html

Cheers,
Crazy_J
:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom