Newbie needs camera suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read some reviews about pixtreme most were horrible. It sounds like canon is one of the best ways to go. Can I get a canon camera + housing for around $400 or 20k pesos?

Canon is definitely a nice option. The A560, A570 IS, ***0, A630 are all good choice. Just make sure before you order the camera that there is a Canon housing for that model. Most of these (if not all) should have housing options by Canon - but double-check to be sure.

Also worth your consideration is the Fuji F30 or F31. Both have Fuji housings available for $130-140.
I've got an F30 and really like it, also for a lot of land-based stuff. They are extremely good at low light / indoor photography. Here's my site, to give you an idea of what they can do, and some advice/recommendations to help you take better pictures without learning things the hard way:

Jeff's UW Photography Page

You can do a Fuji setup with camera, housing and 2 GB card for $400 or less. You may wish to also get a spare battery on ebay - these are cheap. The battery life on the fuji is exceptional - I can shoot all day long - at least 250 shots on one charge without flash (my uw photography is all without flash).

Good luck!

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like both Fuji and Canon have good options for a newbie like me. Can anyone suggest specific setups (camera+UW housing) and which place to get them? I am from the Philippines so my options are narrowed down to whats available locally, or I could order it online and have it shipped direct or to a friend in the US.

Btw, thanks for all the help guys! :)

Hey kiddo,

Check diverspoint along Wilson Boulevard in Greenhills. Last time I was there Ellen had a bunch of UW housings. Other than that, I dunno how good the price will be in Glorietta, Shangri La or Greenbelt. I'd try Greenhills before those three if you're looking for cheaper prices (YMMV!).

Ebay, Hong Kong, or online is another option. Shipping might be an issue.

If you join the Barangay Pasaway subforum in the PPD section there's a "shopping thread" that we all post our recent purchases and where we got them. That may give you some ideas.

Hope that helps.

I really like this one ... small, inexpensive, simple to use, HUGE LCD screen, and takes nice photos.

I've been using the earlier model (EX-Z1000) for about a year now, and it's an ideal, idiot-proof camera for the diver who doesn't know anything about cameras and just wants something that takes nice pictures.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have used the Sea & Sea models that are very easy to use and get great pictures. I recently returned from Fiji and used their DX-8000G camera with very good results. Email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net if you would like to see some of my pics.

Regards,

Bill

Kiddo,

I just uploaded some of my pics into the photo gallery so you can see them. Just click the link on the left to see my photos. All of these were taken with a Sea&Sea DX-8000G camera.

Regards,

Bill

Okay now I'm confused since Sea & Sea, Canon, and Fuji all have great options! For Fuji, the F30 or F31 fits my $400 budget. How about for the Sea & Sea and Canon?

It depends on how much you want to spend. Sea&Sea has a new 1G camera out that is 10 mega pixels and looks great but is more expensive. I recommend the DX-8000G because you can use it as a point and shoot (still takes great pics) or a manual mode and is a lot less expensive (it is an 8 meg pixel camera). The thing I like about the Sea&Sea is that it has almost no shutter lag, that is the time from when you push the shutte button until the time that it actually takes the pictures. In many digital cameras you need to "lead" the object that you want to take a picture of because of this lag time. With the Sea & Sea what you see is what you take. The Silver Tip shark picture in my gallery is an example of this, I didn't lead the shark, when I saw the shark on the LCD screen I took the picture and you see what I got. Email me if you have any questions.

Regards,

Bill

Kiddo, reread your response and realized that you have a $400 dollar budget. Sorry, the 8000G will cost more than that.

Regards,

Bill

Do a little price shopping on the net. There are several Canon A series models that will come close to $400 with housing, give or take.

The Fujis are lovely little units, too.

Anything is better than nothing, so jump in - don't worry too much about getting exactly the right thing, just get one that's been recommended and that you like the look/feel of. All systems have their benefits and disadvantages so all systems are a compromise of some sort - but most of these are things you can live with. You've gotta get something so you can start shooting!

Back
Top Bottom