Newbie needs camera suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiddo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! First post! I have been a recreational diver for quite some time now but I've never tried UW photography aside from using those blue Kodak disposable cameras with no flash. I am thinking of buying a digital camera together with an UW housing. Can you guys recommend a good, reliable, relatively newbie-proof setup (cam + housing) that is available (including spare parts like o-rings, etc) here in the Philippines? Thanks in advance. :)

The canon A series is a good start. I'm not much of a camera guy compared to other PPDers, so maybe they can give you more feedback.

I think this would be better in the UW Photography area as more people will see it and be able to point you in the right direction.

I, too, would recommend the A series by Canon. Great cameras.

You can have a look through the Sticky for the UW Photo area as there are quite a few models with discussions and sample photos listed and it should help you get started. You can also get there via the Pink Link in my signature.

If you would like this moved, please let me know and I'll do it for you.

Hey guys! First post! I have been a recreational diver for quite some time now but I've never tried UW photography aside from using those blue Kodak disposable cameras with no flash. I am thinking of buying a digital camera together with an UW housing. Can you guys recommend a good, reliable, relatively newbie-proof setup (cam + housing) that is available (including spare parts like o-rings, etc) here in the Philippines? Thanks in advance. :)
i started with a pixtreme... it's an Aussie-made u/w camera with housing that's relatively inexpensive yet is a good option if you plan to upgrade bigtime after you play around with it...

the pixtreme i used before is no more, instead they have a 4mp version now and a 6mp (intova i think) that seems much much much better than what i used when i started... and dirt cheap too relatively: about 13,000 pesoses

if you want a 1-time expense then get a canon A-series... i use an A620 and love it, and the A640 should be no different... there are also hacks you can download that will give it even better "pro" features like RAW format shooting and realtime histograms

nice thing about the canon is that ikelite makes housings for it... so you can upgrade the housing w/o needing to upgrade the camera...

hope this helps... i've seen housings sold in one of the electronics shops in megamall

Jag

i started with a pixtreme... it's an Aussie-made u/w camera with housing that's relatively inexpensive yet is a good option if you plan to upgrade bigtime after you play around with it...

the pixtreme i used before is no more, instead they have a 4mp version now and a 6mp (intova i think) that seems much much much better than what i used when i started... and dirt cheap too relatively: about 13,000 pesoses
/quote]

Hey shugar! Is there a place in the Philippines that sell pixtreme cameras? 13k sounds like a good price for a digital cam w/ housing already. My budget is around 20k max since I'm still a college student (ergo no moolah hehe).

I just read some reviews about pixtreme most were horrible. It sounds like canon is one of the best ways to go. Can I get a canon camera + housing for around $400 or 20k pesos?

Back
Top Bottom