Newbie looking at Regs - confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been able to figure out pros and cons on other gear like BCD's and dive computers, but with regulators I can't figure out a way (on paper) to pick a regulator. The only thing I can see is the reviews on scubadiving.com that seem to always rave about the Atomic and Scuba Pro regulators. Being a newbie, is it just best to grab one of those and be done with it or are there other factors that need to be taken into consideration? Thanks.

depends..do you want to do cold water diving? or is it always going to be warm? ever plan to do deeper stuff? if all you want to do is warm water rec diving there are a load of options...gets narrower if you are going to be doing more extreme stuff..

apeks (specifically the atx50) and scubapro are two favorites on the board..both will serve you well, but there are a lot of other good regs as well..

I don't see myself doing anything crazy for a while. Just local Texas lake and river dives with the occasional run to Cozumel or possibly an oil rig dive in the Gulf of Mexico.

give Larry at scubatoys a call, he'll hook you up, he's a local texan as well..

most regs will be fine for what you want, i used dive a mares and liked it but have an apeks now and love it..breaths so smooth..

I can't imagine it getting much better than having Scubatoys as an LDS. Talk to them and see what they recommend. But before you buy, do some additional research on what they propose. I'd look at the mfgr site for authorized dealers and see that expected dive destinations are covered.

Most mfgrs build very adequate regs. So the biggest difference may be above water issues like price and support. I'm a DIYer so the availability and cost of parts and documentation is always a main issue for me. I believe Scubatoys provides service for all regs he sells at a reasonable flat rate and includes free parts subject to certain conditions. If you are mobile, you need to consider what will happen when you move. Some mfgrs seem to charge an arm and a leg for service kits while others are quite cheap.

serviceability and availability of parts are major considerations for me. from that perspective a market share leader like scubapro is a pretty good bet. personally, i dive apeks because it is also widely available around the world and you can get parts kits and service the regs yourself if so inclined.

Jarrett,

When it comes to the middle price range, no other manufacturer has as good of reviews in Scubadiving Magazine (scubadiving.com), as Zeagle Systems. The Envoy Deluxe and Envoy regulators blew away the field at under $400 MSRP!

Flathead VI and Flathead XP regulators scored extremely high as well.

Chad,
Zeagle biased of course!

Chad Carney:
Jarrett,

When it comes to the middle price range, no other manufacturer has as good of reviews in Scubadiving Magazine (scubadiving.com), as Zeagle Systems. The Envoy Deluxe and Envoy regulators blew away the field at under $400 MSRP!

Flathead VI and Flathead XP regulators scored extremely high as well.

Chad,
Zeagle biased of course!

Don't forget about the 50D Chad!

I just purchased a Zeagle ZX Flathead XP for well under $400 from Scubatoys. That was with the Scubaboard member discount. Larry helped me decide which reg set to get, and I couldn't be happier with what I purchased. The Flathead XP is the same as the Flathead VI, minus the environmental seal. Larry basically told me unless you were diving under ice or in a mud hole, you would not need the environmentally sealed Zeagle reg.

As the other said, give Larry a call, he will hook you up!

I screwed up and let my wife breathe off of my Apeks 50 the other day...now I gotta buy her one also. Prior to the Apeks, I dove (and still use in the pool) a Titan Micra ADJ. Little more affordable than the Apeks, and still a good reg, but once you breathe a great reg, you're hooked.

Back
Top Bottom