Newbie in VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Youngandfree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Brand new guy here. I was offered a free Open Water class by my BIL who's best friend is the instructor. The plan was go to FL, then go to FT Lauderdale for mini season with my new credentials. They said "it will be great. Beach front hotel, walk right out to the water. Dive is only 10-15' deep. It will be awesome."

I thought to myself, I'm not a great swimmer, and not in the greatest shape, but trying it for free is better than spending a bunch of money to find out I can't hack it.
So we went down and did pool work on Sunday before mini season started. I surprised myself and did fine in the pool. My wife not so much. She didn't like being in the deep end of the pool at all. But she was very supportive of me doing it. The original plan was go to Devil's Den, wherever that is in FL. But instead they decided to see if our hotel had availability a day early and go on to Lauderdale-by-the-sea.

I did my open water dives near the pier. They didn't mention hiking 100+ yards from hotel into water, then swimming out to end of pier, before starting the dive. I learned real quick how strong my "don't give up" was that week. I don't like deep ocean water, but had a BC on so I tried not worrying. First attempt at going down was bad. I was freaking out, I was beyond out of breath. My instructor is a don't hold back retired cop that's 50 and built like a brick house. This fat guy couldn't keep up. He got me settled down, and we did the training dives with flying colors.

The next day we did a full tank dive, which meant only about 45minutes for me. Since all the crazies hit the water at midnight for mini season, we stayed in and went out at 3am. So my 2nd dive as a certified diver was a night dive. I surprised myself and did ok with that too, didn't freak out except just having real hard time keeping up with 3 other master divers. I decided to skip a second dive, and those guys went back out. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get back in as tired as I was, and it was more work than fun anyway.

I did a total of 5 dives down there, with the final being a sunrise dive. We stayed closest to the hote, and they wanted to hang over the pock holes in the reef, so we weren't swimming for hundreds of yards. Walking out was the only time I wasn't praying my legs would stay under me until I made it to the chair.

It was awesome, I'd like to be able to spend more time with someone willing to slow down for the new guy. They were on a lobster mission, so I just had to keep up. Instructor said I did really good, I didn't give up when he was hard on me. He said most brand new people don't get that kind of experience right out of the gate. In fact he said his dive shop had recently hired a dive master that had never done any ocean diving, but had years of fresh water experience.

I found this board from someone on a firearm board. I'll be lurking quite a bit and posting usual newb questions.

Congratulations on your "can do" attitude and in completing your certification! You did great and didn't give up. That in itself was a major accomplishment! Devil's Den in Williston, FL was where I did my OW course and got my first taste of scuba diving. My first actual open water ocean dives after 2 years of diving were just this past February while on vacation in Montego Bay, Jamaica. Beautiful sites and great dive outfit! I hope to go again in the future.
Anyway, I just wanted to wish you the best and I hope you get to do lots of great and safe diving in the upcoming years! Dive safely!

Congratulations as well. I would've been leery of doing a night dive so soon, but you were with an instructor. It's great you were able to get so much in right out of the shoot. Be careful not to task load too much too soon. Don't become complacent due to a lot of success (I have read that the biggest percentage of dive accidents are among newer divers and very experienced ones such as instructors--who become complacent). That's just what I've read. Good luck.

I found this board from someone on a firearm board.

I just found this post...

And I'm assuming that "someone" would probably be me. :D There are a number of us Arfcommers here. :m16:

There's nothing wrong with fresh water diving! Great Lakes, FTW!

Hope you'll stick around. A reminder - SB has absolutely no resemblance to Arfcom's GD. Think of it as all tech forums. :wink:

Congratulations as well. I would've been leery of doing a night dive so soon, but you were with an instructor. It's great you were able to get so much in right out of the shoot. Be careful not to task load too much too soon. Don't become complacent due to a lot of success (I have read that the biggest percentage of dive accidents are among newer divers and very experienced ones such as instructors--who become complacent). That's just what I've read. Good luck.

No worried about me getting a big head about my dives so far. I feel like I'm glad to have survived them. :) Not because of safety issues, but due to my out of shape fitness levels. I'm not a stranger to hard work or exercise due to my previous bodybuilding experience. It's just been a long time.

I just found this post...

And I'm assuming that "someone" would probably be me. :D There are a number of us Arfcommers here. :m16:

There's nothing wrong with fresh water diving! Great Lakes, FTW!

Hope you'll stick around. A reminder - SB has absolutely no resemblance to Arfcom's GD. Think of it as all tech forums. :wink:
Fresh water is OK, but no real shells there.....

Back
Top Bottom