Newbie in Boston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome aboard the....boards.

:poking:

welcome to the board and remember wearing 7mm of neoprene is like a badge of courage.

Gary

Welcome to a site that can provide a wealth of information regarding mans greatest activity (man meaning human, not male, of course). Well, maybe it's a tie being the greatest.

Nevertheless, all good points above. I certainly would suggest the essentials first - mask, fins, boots, hood and gloves(some dive shops around here dont rent those) , etc.. But after that it's dealers choice.

I was faced with the same dilemma. I extensively researched every possible piece of equipment that I might want to buy. It was sensory overload picturing myself in all that wonderful gear. Unfortunately, a little thing called bank overdraft would have become my new worst friend if I had my way so I needed a system of purchasing.

More expensive before cheaper items? Life support before extras? What it all came down to was- what was most exciting to me at the time! One of my first purchases was of a Halcyon SS backplate and Pioneer wings as my BC. Many would argue that they would buy a reg first, or a wetsuit, or whatever, but for me I had read volumes of posts on this site as to the benefits of such a system. I became completely engrossed with this item and researched it and decided that this piece of equipment should fit in to my present and future style of diving. I say future because I have a long term plan set up on what type of diving I would like to progress to someday.

Think to the future, might someday you like to dive doubles? Deep wreck dive? Drysuit? If the answer is even a maybe, than try to start your purchases with equipment that you can use to get to those goals and use once you are there. As Rax stated so correctly, there will always be more to buy. My philosophy is to buy whatever you are most interested in right now, buy quality gear that will last, and buy gear that you will be able to use if your diving style progresses to that "next level" so many of us are trying to achieve!

Welcome to the board from the same cold waters you’ll be diving in. I too am from Massachusetts. Have fun here and always Dive Safe. In your post you mentioned a starter kit. IMO there is no such thing as a starter kit. You should educate yourself on the different types of dive gear offered from the major manufactures. Then based on what you’ve learned and what type of diving you intend to do, you should purchase the best equipment you can afford. Buy good stuff the first time, take care of it and it will last you many years. Buying the best you can the first time around will save you money in the long run. Otherwise you may end up buying some piece of junk that your not going to be happy with after a few short dives.

……………………….Arduous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom