Newbie in Boston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocksie

Reaction score
Hello all,
I came across ScubaBoard while taking some downtime from working. I recently (OK it was November) got my Open Water Certification (PADI) while on the Golden Princess (cruise ship). It was a great way to get certified. I have always wanted to do it and it was great to get it done in a relatively short time with great instruction. Plus I did my open water dives in St. Martin and St. Thomas and had extra time to dive a wreck (well close enough) and a reef. I am planning another cruise for November 30th and will dive in Cozumel and the Cayman Islands.
I plan on diving soon with some friends here locally (Cape Ann/Gloucester area) and do not have my own equipment as of yet. I will just borrow my buddies gear. I have checked out some other threads and gotten some useful info and plan on seeking out more as well as grilling my buddies. However, I may as well ask a few questions here. What do you suggest I get for minimum equipment? You know a sort of starters kit, keeping in mind that I plan on doing some diving up here in New England (Summer only I'm sure). I don't want to compromise safety but also don't want/need to empty my savings on gadgets I won't need/use/appreciate until I have more dives in my book. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
One more thing, is anyone is interested in sharing a cabin with me on my cruise in November (depart 11/30 Miami)? This will save me from paying a single supplement (extra 50%), provide me with a dive buddy and hopefully someone to hang out with on board. I got a great deal ($349/person including port charges) using a travel industry rate so the extra 50% won't be so costly but I would certainly entertain the idea of sharing with a compatible dive buddy. Well if anyone is interested maybe we could chat or exchange emails and see if it might work.
Oh, and I would love to meet some divers up here in the Boston Area. This way I can go more often.

Charlie

welcome to the board. Check out the New England Lobsta Divahs forum for local diving... somebody is diving somewhere just about every weekend.

As far as gear, I recommend you try different types and purchase in this order:
1. Mask
2. reg
3. Exposure protection
4. BC/Backplate-wing
5. wrist mount gauges... computer, compass, watch
6. tanks

simplest setup:
Apeks tx50 reg with tx50 octo (or atx50/atx50octo)
Backplate w/wing
7mm suit
hood/gloves/boots
mask
Mosquito computer
suunto sk7 compass or similar
Dive rite or OMS SPG
lights
knife/shears
dive flag

ok... not so simple... but you'll find that there's always something else you 'need'

You can go with cheaper stuff, and maybe that would be ok, but I went that route... and it ends up costing you more when you have to re-buy everything because you're no longer happy with your initial purchases.

Figure out what you can rent easily, and start purchasing accordingly.

we have some simple shore dives coming up.... cape ann aug. 24, Jamestown, RI sept. 1.

Ken

welcome to the board
mask fins and boots first the rest you can hire untill you know what you want :) happy diving

Always good to see another Boston diver. PM me some details about the cruise... I'll consider it.

My equipment recommendations are a little different from Raxafarian's. Here they are, with rationale:

1. Mask, Fins, Snorkel, flag, knife/shears

You need a mask that fit's right, and the best way to ensure that is to own one. While you're buying that, you should pick up fins and a snorkel... that way you can at least go snorkeling without having to rent gear. These, IMHO, are kind of the minimal requirements for underwater recreation. The snorkel is debatable, of course.

2. Exposure protection

If you plan to dive in New England (of course you do!) you will need to be protected from the cold water. If you have a "standard" body that off the shelf rental suits fit well, and you don't mind a suit that other people have urinated in, you might rent instead. If not, your best bet (unless you want to spring for a dry suit and training) is to shop around for a 7mm wetsuit that fits like a glove.

3. Regulator & Gauges

These are your life support... it's best to have regulators you know and trust, and a gauge console you're familiar with.

4. BC/Backplate-wing

It's good to have a BC you're comfortable and familiar with, that's streamlined, fits well, and has attachment poins conveniently located for the gear you plan to need. Rent as many different models and styles as you can, and take note of what you like and don't like about each before choosing one to buy.

5. etc...

As Rax said, there's always another piece of equipment you really need. I don't know how I'm getting along without the $900 scuba kayak I saw the other day.

Just get whatever you need most at the time. Weights and tanks are the obvious next choices after a BC, and you'll probably want lights, a writing slate, and a safety device or two once you have the essentials. Then of course, there are cameras, lobstering gear, save-a-dive kit, marker bouy, fishing spear, steel 120 doubles, zip ties and brass doodads, backplate/wing setups, luggage, lift bags, dpv scooters, and let's not forget your very own 120' liveaboard with hot tub and Nitrox fill station in Palau.

I am just saying hello and welcome to the boards since you have plenty of suggestions for what gear to start off buying :wink:

Welcome!

Ranz

I put regs above exposure protection because they are life support. I rather rinse out a rental suit and have something I know breathes good than be "urine-free" and use those piece of crap regs my LDS has. :potty:

Msilvia: Speaking of save a dive kits... I still have that mouthpiece I owe you... I'll try and drop it in the mail tomorrow.

It's not so much the condition of the wetsuit that concerns me as the fit. If you're going to be diving around here, an ill-fitting wetsuit is a good way to ensure you won't have a good time. If you can't stand to be in the water, it doesn't matter how good your reg is.

Besides, much like BCs, I think it's a good idea to try out several different rental regs so you''ll know what you like before buying. This is less important with a wetsuit... it just has to be thick enough and fit well.

If your LDS has crappy regs, maybe you should rent from a different one...

Hi from the grave yard of the atlantic.
If i was u. I would do a little diving and talking around before i bought the hi dollar stuff. ie reg, bc, tanks, computer. I think u need to try out different gear to see what u like the best. It is always best to buy a good product the first time. This is much better than buying second rate and then having to replace it with what u should of gotten or wanted the first time.

Good luck and most of have fun and be safe.

Gonediving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom