Newbie help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayswang

New
Reaction score
Taking the open water and advanced diving classes soon. Looking on info about gloves and boots. I will be diving in cold water, so I'd like to know what to look for and what not to. And if anyone knows a good place to get good deals on equipment. I've been looking online, but would like to hear what is better and what to avoid. Thanks for your info!

are you going to be using a drysuit or a wetsuit?

Wetsuit. Looking at 5mm gloves and 7mm boots. Soles? Brands? Thanks.

Gloves and boots are something that you want to try on before you buy, because you will be pretty unhappy underwater if they don't fit correctly.

get hard soles if you will be beach diving, you'll appreciate them if you have to walk over any rocks..

some people love thick gloves, but i don't unless the water's in the 40's or so. i'd rather be a bit chilly than fight with the stinkin' gloves, suit sleeves, and watch, all with 3mil on each finger. grrr. anyway, the point is to try lots of different thoughts and combinations. you'll still buy different ones later, but maybe not as many...:)

I spent the day trying on boots and gloves. through all the brands its seems that im a 9 and M no matter what type i was trying on. Street size im a 10. 10's fit good, but had a slight gap while the 9's were a little snug. Seemed better to be on the snug side, but not sure. Now Im trying to see what others out there like and dislike. Thanks for all the help.

i dive in new england waters w/ 6mm boots and they work well
i would recomend buying these at a local dive shop, or SIZING yourself there, and if you can come home and find them cheaper at leisurepro.com you'll save yourself some money.

some local dive shop's will charge double the prices

jayswang:
I spent the day trying on boots and gloves. through all the brands its seems that im a 9 and M no matter what type i was trying on. Street size im a 10. 10's fit good, but had a slight gap while the 9's were a little snug. Seemed better to be on the snug side, but not sure. Now Im trying to see what others out there like and dislike. Thanks for all the help.

1. Get the boots more snug than you think you need them ... if there's a significant gap between the end of your toes and the tip of the boot they're too large. Once you get them wet they'll expand.

2. Make sure you bring your boots with you when trying on fins for purchase. Some boots (especially those with large hard soles) don't fit well in the foot pocket of some fins. My Apollo Bio Fins, for example, fit well with my 'normal' boots, but won't fit with a hard sole boot.

As for hard sole vs soft sole, it's more a matter of preference. Some folks say that the bouyancy difference with hard soles makes their feet "floaty," although I've not noticed that. If I'm going to be doing beach diving in significant surf, where getting into the fins quickly is important, I wear soft soled boots. If the water is REALLY cold and I'm diving a wetsuit, or if I have a long walk/exit over rocks, I like my hard soled boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom