Newbie Guide to Gear Maintenance? Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so I've had alot of pool time this week and been reading through some different things including a few hit and miss descriptions on gear maintenance. But I haven't found one quick list. Listed below is what I have come up with. What am I missing? As always, thank you in advance for your help!!!

Regulators

Cleaning after use includes a soak in fresh water. HOWEVER, it is very important to prevent water from entering the first stage. If possible, leave regulator attached to pressurized tank. If that is not possible, then make sure dust cap is on reg and do not depress the purge button on the second stage.

Soak in clean fresh water (no additives) for an hour. During the soak, work any buttons, control levers or knobs back and forth to loosen any particles that may have accumulated inside. Follow by running fresh water over the first and second stages to remove loose debris. Blow or towel dry the dust cap before putting it in place on the first stage.

Dry the regulator with a clean towel and store regulator in a cool dry place, away from dust, light, heat and fumes of any kind. Ideally, the regulator can be kept in a plastic bag. Store the regulator separate from the tank in a position where there is little or no stress on the hoses, and the second stage below the first with the mouthpiece facing down.

Service once a year or per manufacturer's instructions.

Tanks

Tanks should be rinsed in fresh water and then wiped dry. Valve should be opened briefly to expel any moisture from the valve opening. Then closed.

All compressed air cylinders should be inspected regularly. Before diving, check for corrosion or heavy wear on the outside of the tank. Have tank visually inspected required annually and more frequently if used heavily, filled in a humid environment, or if the tank is drained completely. Tanks must be hydrostatically tested once every five years.

Before storing, tanks should be pressurized to at least 25psi to prevent any moisture from entering the cylinder. Store tanks securely and upright in a cool dry place.

BCDs

Soak and rinse BCDs in fresh water after use. If water entered the BCD during diving, then rinse the inside of the air bladder too. To do this, depress and hold down the oral inflator button and fill the bladder about 1/3 with water. Swish around and drain the water completely by turning the BCD upside down while pressing the oral inflator button.

Store BCDs upside down and partially inflated.

Have serviced once year or according to manufacturer's suggestions.

Weights
Weights are rinsed in fresh water after use.

Fins
Fins are rinsed in fresh water after use. Stuff the foot pocket with an insert to prevent the pocket from losing shape.

Masks
Masks are rinsed with fresh water and dried. Store the mask in its original box to prevent any silicone parts from contact with black rubber which causes discoloration.

Wetsuit, booties and gloves - AVOID THE STINK!!!!!
Neoprene or similar material is soaked and rinsed with fresh water after use. A large tub is an excellent tool for this! Commercially available wetsuit conditioner is available that will help to control odors and may prevent fading of the material. Apply a light coating of beeswax to zippers, then work them back and forth to prevent sticking.

Allow wetsuits, booties and gloves to drip dry on appropriate hangers that prevent creasing of the neoprene. Must be completely dry before storing.

Dive Computers
Dive computers and instruments are soaked in fresh water as soon as possible after use. Work all moving parts while soaking to loosen any salt and sand deposits.

Annual service is recommended. Follow any and all manufacturers recommendations and consult the owner's manual before attempting replacement of the batteries.

good start to a good list! i wash my wetsuit & other neoprene things in my front loader washer with a bit of wetsuit shampoo & add listerine (or the walmart equivalent) in the bleach & fabric softener cycles. sometimes i put a bit of listerine in the bc bladder, too.

Good list. Just a thought or two.

"Service once a year or per manufacturer's instructions." or as needed......
Example, If the reg had first or second possibly compromised......

"Tanks should be rinsed in fresh water and then wiped dry. Valve should be opened briefly to expel any moisture from the valve opening. Then closed."

Valve covers should be used, moisture, dirt and debris.

FWIW, You can put fabric softener in your neoprene soak bucket.... I dry alot of my gear off w/ an air compressor. I have done a "quick dry" on my gear with a leaf blower. Don't laugh, it will dry a wetsuit or bcd pretty quick...... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom