Newbie Gear (with Travel Considerations)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

I have only been a certified Scuba diver for three years, and a 'vacation diver' at that. So, have only owned a mask and fins. Come late June, however, I will be heading across the world to Koh Tao, and spending at least three months there. Because of this, it makes sense to go ahead and buy some proper gear. I have gotten the impression that it is better price-wise to purchase equipment here in the US, so I am trying to figure that out relatively soon. Things I wish to consider:
-Price; but not to the point that I have cruddy gear that will not last me long
-Portability: yes, I will mostly be on Koh Tao. But I need to get there first. And it is quite likely that I will want to travel to some of the fantastic dive spots in SE Asia after my time in Koh Tao.

Here is what I am considering at the moment:
-Genesis "GS2000" Regulator GR450
-Cressi XS Octopus
-Zeagle Stiletto BCD with the Ripcord Weight System, Black Medium
-Mares Puck Wrist Computer or Suunto "Zoop" Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer Yellow
-A travel bag of some sort (suggestions?)

With most of these, I was trying to find gear that is on the cheaper side, but still worthy. The obvious exception is the Zeagle; I am thinking that it might be prudent for me to invest in a travel BCD due to the weight difference.

Anyhow, that is about all I have to say. If any of you have suggestions about this, I am all ears. Thank you.

I can usually fit all of the following items into a carry on size suit case:

1 Stainless steel backplate
1 Single tank wing
1 single tank adapter
1 set of regs
two backup lights
1x 1meter surface marker
1x 6ft surface marker
2finger spools
mask
1beauchat foldable snorkel for snorkeling purposes
1 set of wet notes
A 3mm neoprene sleeveless vest or a 1mm neoprene shirt
1 rash guard.
1 neoprene shorts with pockets
2 dive computers/ bottom timers if I do a live aboard
1 wrist compass.
1 laundry line -the ones that are braided using surgical tubing

The backplate and wing is disassembled until I reach my destination.

If I were to buy a wing again, I would buy a dss wing and plate as a travel set as this would eliminate the weight and space taken up by the single tank adApteR.

For fins I use he oms slipStreams as they are lighter t

Just a couple words of advice from a fellow (somewhat) newbie:

1. Do not buy a reg and octo that are different brands. I did and it really limits which shops will service them. Many will services only certain brands. I have an Aeris reg and Oceanic octo, both are even own by the same company! But my favorite shop where I live does not service Oceanic.

2. I was considering a Zeagle Stiletto and opted for the Dive Rite Transpac and love it. Probably my favorite piece of gear. It's light and travels well. It's completely modular so you can dive it with or without weight pockets or other pockets, sheers, z-knife, ect. Usually I only have weight pockets and a z-knife on my harness, but I have an extra pocket I add if I need it, like when I'm doing a night dive, that is where I store my backup light. I have the 35 lb wing (I think its called the Voyager wing) but they have a smaller wing if you think 35 lbs is more than you need. We do a cold water trip every year, so l opted for the bigger wing.

Dive rite has a new harness & wing combo called the Voyager Pac that came out after I bought mine. They also have the smaller Travel Pac. These are worth considering if you don't feel that you will be switching wings in the future. I think they are a little bit less expensive and a bit lighter than the Transpac & wing.

Agree don't buy different brand reg and octo can make servicing a hassle. Not sure about Servicing for those brands on Koh Tao, I have spent a bit of time there and Aqualung and scuba-pro have the biggest showing, if your reg needs servicing while there this is something to consider. Suuntos are by far the computer of choice on KT you will see most DMs and instructors wearing them. The Zoop (Gekko) is a very simple reliable computer and does all a recreational diver will likely need. Zeagle make great gear. Good luck I'm sure you'll have a great time I always have every time I've been there.

I can usually fit all of the following items into a carry on size suit case:

1 Stainless steel backplate
1 Single tank wing
1 single tank adapter
1 set of regs
two backup lights
1x 1meter surface marker
1x 6ft surface marker
2finger spools
mask
1beauchat foldable snorkel for snorkeling purposes
1 set of wet notes
A 3mm neoprene sleeveless vest or a 1mm neoprene shirt
1 rash guard.
1 neoprene shorts with pockets
2 dive computers/ bottom timers if I do a live aboard
1 wrist compass.
1 laundry line -the ones that are braided using surgical tubing

The backplate and wing is disassembled until I reach my destination.

If I were to buy a wing again, I would buy a dss wing and plate as a travel set as this would eliminate the weight and space taken up by the single tank adApteR.

For fins I use he oms slipStreams as they are lighter t

I must be the world's worst packer if you can get all of that in a carry on; mine usually takes up a check bag that barely meets the size requirement. :shocked2:

Just as another option of something without the STA, the HOG 32# wings do not need one either.

And I agree with cbrich, you are an insane packer. What type of bag to you use?

Hey FettSolo

I am in a very similar situation. Just got my advanced OW, heading to Maldives in 5 months, looking to buy gear as well.

the Zeagle was also recommended to me by my LDS, did you end up buying it?

I have a Stiletto and love it, although, it is bulkier than a BP/W for travel purposes. Great BC though, I found mine in the classifieds here on SB barely used for a fraction of my LDS new ticket price :wink:

Having said that, I think I may move on to a BP/W soon. Do your research! SB has a ton of info at your fingertips :)

One suggestion for travel intended regulator, stick with Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks. They can be service anywhere in the world, easily. I can't say about other brands, even as big and popular as Oceanic or Atomic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom