Newbie Gear Advice Please!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a ScubaPro MK17/g250v for about $300 more than I would have paid online. Thing is, LeisurePro is not an authorized seller of ScubaPro equipment so my reg's warranty would have been through LeisurePro rather than ScubaPro. ScubaPro's warranty gives me free parts for life if I have it serviced once a year. LeisurePro's doesn't. Also buying via my LDS I get sudo free service on my reg's, I just pay for the labor (or maybe it's half labor) I believe.
QUOTE]

Leisurepro IS an authorized Scubapro dealer. Also, Scubapro this year discontinued their free parts program unless you buy a complete outfit of theirs.

SP doesn't have the free parts thing for new regs any longer, only if you buy a BC and compute too :(

Ahh, forgot about that. I bought my reg last year so I got in right before they cut it off.

Leisurepro IS an authorized Scubapro dealer. Also, Scubapro this year discontinued their free parts program unless you buy a complete outfit of theirs.

Since when? When I purchased my reg last year they weren't. Through them, they said I had a lesiurepro warranty rather than the scubapro one which is why I went to my LDS to purchase it. Must have missed that somehow, then again, I don't really keep up with LeisurePro since I don't buy from them anymore.

I like the idea of buying a regulator that can be serviced locally.

If your budget is limited, I'd say that a computer should be far down on your list of "must have" gear.

Not getting a a computer will allow you get a better regulator and/or BCD.

I agree. A computer can always be purchased later cause its not necessary. A good set of regs is your life line. I am on that boat trying to pick a new set of regs.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

SP doesn't have the free parts thing for new regs any longer, only if you buy a BC and compute too :(

That just made my Scubapro vs Aqualung regulator purchase a no brainier. Are you sure about this? I looked on their site and didn't see anything about that.

two things id recomond if possible. 1. Try before you buy, If your LDS has pool sessions or Discover Local diving trips try a few different gear set ups. Sometimes its not best to base your purchuse on pricing. 2. what kinda diving do u want to do? Cheaper bcds usualy are limited in there expandability IE. drings/knife hooks/ ability to hold a stage. and then the BPW vs Jacket style BCD

I'm in the same situation as the OP, trying to put together a basic diving package. Could you expand on the difference between BCDs please? How would a cheaper BCD limit my ability to dive? What is the advantage of a BPW vs a jacket? I read that it makes you more horizontal, which has always been kind of problem for me (If I don't concentrate I end up pretty much standing in the water) and that it works with two tanks, but are there any other major differences? Also, is a BPW easy to compact into a travel bag? I plan to be bringing all of this stuff on planes with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom