Newbie Gear Advice Please!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello All, I have been diving about 3 years and have always rented gear. I want to take the next step and buy some equipment. I am thinking bcd, reg, octo, and computer to start. I have been to my lds and honestly don't feel comfortable with the pricing they are giving me. I would love to support them but a Mares package they put together for me came out $390 more than what I can get it for on Leisure Pro. I typically make between 10-25 dives per year. This may increase slightly as I am going to get some other certifications, although I don't see myself doing anything technical. Typically diving in Caribbean or local quarry and don't tend dive if water is less than 50 degrees. Anybody have good advice for me to purchase some gear. Like I said, I don't necessarily trust my local shop and feel like they are just trying to make a sale so will have to rely on my research and forums such as this. Air integrated computer or not? I'm not trying to break the bank but at the same time want quality that will last me years to come and grow. Preferably would like to stay in the 1000-1500 range. Thanks for the help!

I'd buy a regulator from the LDS as it'll come in handy for annual repairs.
I consider BCDs to be something to hang the tank with a couple of pockets and have dived in Small, medium, Large jackets and wings. A well-made BCD jacket is fine and an approximate fit is fine. I prefer a size down than a size too large.

For a computer, I'd get something cheap and cheerful like a Suunto Gecko (I have one and it works perfectly for me as a working instructor). Don't bother with air integrated- it's expensive and not really needed.

For a computer, I'd get something cheap and cheerful like a Suunto Gecko (I have one and it works perfectly for me as a working instructor). Don't bother with air integrated- it's expensive and not really needed.

The latest version of the Gekko is called the ZOOP. It is the same as the Gekko except that it is orange in color and is downloadable without a hack. It is an excellent computer and is very affordable. We have 3 Gekko/Zoops in service with a total of more than 1500 dives. I agree that non air-integrated computer and an analog SPG is the way to go.

Try a different LDS. One of the LDS' I use sells basic packages (not Mares) for $800 and free shipping for orders over $500. The latter would assume you know what you want and couldn't get to the shop. Fortunately I live in a place where there are many dive shops.

Other LDS will carry differnet manufacturers products so shop around. Are you stuck on Mares? If you find a comparable item on the internet I would discuss it with them and see what they will do for you. Be prepared to compare apples to apples though as the internet product may be slightly different or older models. I can pretty much guarantee that the LDS will bring up gear servicing i.e. having to send it to the internet shop, does either give free parts for service and for what period of time, etc. Don't be shy about talking about $$ and what else you have found.

I won't recommend specific brands as it's a matter of personal choice but as long as it works, is reliable and you can get it serviced, choose what fits and works for you.

On the other hand, you can do as suggested here and buy it in pieces from different places depending on servicing and price. I always buy regs from an LDS that I know will stand behind it. My primary LDS will pretty much service any brand of gear (even Dacor but they don't like it - it's a pain).

Thanks for the reply posts everybody. I will certainly look into the recommended computer and make sure to try some other somewhat local shops for a reg.

Does your LDS or another close to you sell Aqualung? There's an Aqualung package that seems to be available at many dealers (but not always advertised) called the Essentials Package. It includes BC, 1st and 2nd stage regs, octo, and a gauge pod that includes the Zoop computer referenced above (highly recommended, BTW). My LDS let me sub out the BC and octo for better models and just charged me the difference in price for those items. Base price is about $900; my total was somewhere around $1,100 with the upgrades.

James

two things id recomond if possible. 1. Try before you buy, If your LDS has pool sessions or Discover Local diving trips try a few different gear set ups. Sometimes its not best to base your purchuse on pricing. 2. what kinda diving do u want to do? Cheaper bcds usualy are limited in there expandability IE. drings/knife hooks/ ability to hold a stage. and then the BPW vs Jacket style BCD

I picked up a ScubaPro MK17/g250v for about $300 more than I would have paid online. Thing is, LeisurePro is not an authorized seller of ScubaPro equipment so my reg's warranty would have been through LeisurePro rather than ScubaPro. ScubaPro's warranty gives me free parts for life if I have it serviced once a year. LeisurePro's doesn't. Also buying via my LDS I get sudo free service on my reg's, I just pay for the labor (or maybe it's half labor) I believe.

As far as computers, someone already mentioned the ZOOP. It's a good computer. It was between that and the Uwatec Aladin 2g when I purchased a computer. I ended up going with the Aladin 2g due to some buddies recommendations. Took it out of the console boot it came with and threw it onto a couple wrist mount's and love it.

BCD's, someone also mentioned testing out other's stuff. I'd highly recommend that. I always dove jacket style bcd's and never really could get comfortable in them. Always had some sort of issue with them and I just didn't like how they fit. Once I tried on a buddies bp/w, I fell in love with the harness fitting and bought one a few weeks later. Now, I can't imagine how I dove with a jacket style rig. Plus, everyone said sooner or later I'd likely end up with a bp/w so I might as well go ahead and get one.

I picked up a ScubaPro MK17/g250v for about $300 more than I would have paid online. Thing is, LeisurePro is not an authorized seller of ScubaPro equipment so my reg's warranty would have been through LeisurePro rather than ScubaPro. ScubaPro's warranty gives me free parts for life if I have it serviced once a year. LeisurePro's doesn't. Also buying via my LDS I get sudo free service on my reg's, I just pay for the labor (or maybe it's half labor) I believe.

SP doesn't have the free parts thing for new regs any longer, only if you buy a BC and compute too :(

Look on Scubatoys at the oceanic EOS. Its on clearance

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom