Newbie From Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello to all i am a new diver for jersey, well let me rephrase that i am a newly certified
diver but started diving when i was a kid and i am 41 now and figured it was time:eyebrow: i have most of my gear but am still trying to figure out what type of suit to get semi dry-7mm wet or a layered suit like a john so any help would be appreciated thanks

welcome to the board. you will find many opinions on your topics that will help you determine whats best for yourself. have fun and enjoy the board. glad you're here!

Welcome aboard. I use a 3/2 for beach diving during the summer, a full 7 in the spring and fall. I really want/need a drysuit for the offshore wrecks and to extend our season. The full 7 allows my son and I to dive into late November and begin in April, we try to dive in water above 50 degrees with the 7mm, hten we only get about an hour to an hour and a half.

Welcome from a fellow NJ Diver!

If you're going to entertain the idea of diving locally - which I wholeheartedly recommend - go dry.

There really is no option if you want to have the option to dive basically year round. People will tell you "I dive a 7mm and I'm toasty warm..." etc. To be quite blunt, that's nonsense. For some reason many people seem to confuse "I didn't die from hypothermia" with "I was toasty warm."

:D

I was sort of in the same boat as you, not getting certified until the age of 40. That was 2.5yrs ago and 200+ dives later I think I'm well on my way to making up for waiting so long! (I grew up on the Jersey shore but had no idea you could dive here, much less that the diving is amazing.)

Hopefully we'll see you diving locally. Come join us on The Gypsy Blood some day when you're ready!

banana.gif
wavey.gif

WELCOME TO
:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:

Just depends on you and the water temp ... I dove a farmer many years but since the one peice came out thats been the ticket for me. The 7mm farmer on me was nuts I had to have so much lead it was stupid! I have a 2mm shorty, a 5/4mm one piece and a 7mm also. That allows me to cover pretty much sans a full 3mm :( but the older I get the colder I get so a new Dry Suit is looking pretty good right now.

thanks guys for the advice i think i'm gonna try the new semidry from scubapro- the nova scotia
gonna try to use it up at dutch springs wanted to get a d/s but i dont have that kinda dough at this time

hey dude, welcome from sunny england. If its any use, i think the climate is similar? most of my divers use a dry in winter, 7mm long john with a 7mm shorty in spring and autumn (what u guys call fall?) and just the 7mm long john in summer. the oceani neo-titan is a good suit, as is the nova scotia as are the pinnacle merino's. So theres a few choices out there

thanks i guess im gonna rent a couple diff suits and give them a go. if anybody has a xxl d/s for sale let me know, i would really like to get one but i dont have a couple g's to throw down on one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom