Newbie from Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SemperFi

Reaction score
I am from houston and just received my certification, and I am having a devil of a time getting my feet wet! I am planning on taking a few weeks off from work and going somewhere awesome. But in the meantime I am wanting to get my feet wet and get a little more time under my belt.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a place in the general area of south east texas?

(any ideas for my 2 week trip would also be a welcome!)

I would love any kind of feedback

Welcome to the world of diving and the scubaboard.
A few of us from the area (although I have yet to dive
this year or show up) meet on Wednesdays and weekends
at Twin Lakes, in Manvel. (288 & Hwy 6). It's a great little
place to dive local. You'll meet a lot of really great people.

You haven't read many of the posts here, have you!

We think there is a great place just south of Houston in Manvel called Twin Lakes. Click here for pictures, there a 2-3 albums on Twin Lakes there.

The large lake that we dive in is about 20 acres. It's spring fed which means it's very cold and dark at the bottom at 50 ft. The surface temps have been 83-84º. First t-cline is around 20ft where the temps drop ti the high 60's and the second t-cline is around 30ft where it drops further to the low 50's. The viz varies from 4-20ft, depending on the number of divers who have roto-tilled around the edges!

I don't know what part of Houston you are from but if you go south on Hwy 288, go to Hwy 6 and turn left. Go 2 miles and you'll see the Twin Lakes RV and Scuba Park sign on the right. If you pass the Shamrock station you have gone too far.

Sorry guys!

In my hurry to find people(and places!) to dive with I posted before I read!

I actually live on the northern tip of the city (actually live straddilin the line of the suburbs!)

The next few weeks are going to be a bit crazy with work but I plan on getting out there and getting to know some of you guys.

looking forward to diving with yall

hello to all swampers! new since may.should have posted here after the greets and meets. have dove out at the twin lakes,the last couple of weeks. i'll try to make it out on a wednesday to see some of you folks. lets get wet.:)

Beast and I should be at the lake this weekend, probably Sat.

Hope to see you both!

Hi everyone! Just starting my venture into diving and have a good question about the Manvel dive location. What dive shops use this location for class? I live about 4 miles from the Scuba park and would love to be able to frequent the place after my certification. Thanks

Mark

Welcome to the Swamp!

I seen quite a few shops using Twin Lakes this year...

R&D Scuba
Discover Scuba
Sea Sports
Sport Divers
Dive Paradise
WW Diving
Giggling Marlin
Several independant Instructors

Thank you! You know I have always drove past that location and never knew it was frequented by divers. Any recommendations as for as student to instructor quality is concerned? I really want this to be a learning experience for both my son and myself. Thanks

Mark

Back
Top Bottom