newbie diver in Keelung, Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jands

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I have wanted to dive since I was a kid, but was never given medical clearance in my home country, because I have asthma. So, I focused on many other sports (windsurfing, white water and surf kayaking, rock climbing), but the desire to dive never went away.

Last year I was at a resort in the Philippines and they allowed me do to the ‘Discover Scuba Diving’ course (you may agree or disagree on their wisdom in doing so), but FINALLY I was under the water. Only 10m, but it was enough! I saw barracuda, a school of jack, an amazing vertical wall of fish, sea snakes and even a green turtle.

Well, I was hooked...absolutely addicted. I am an expat now, so I went to a dive center close to where I live, and they had no problems with letting me do the Open Water Cert.

Finally, 40 years old and I am living the dream. As soon as I get my head under water the magic begins (even though I have only done training dives so far).

As for the asthma, I have read all the DAN reports and understand the risks I am taking. So, I take extra safety precautions and let nature take care of the rest.

From DAN reports I understand there are two major dangers:

1. If I get an asthma attack under water then my lungs will narrow, and even though can breathe in I have a lot of trouble with breathing out. This puts me at risk of decompression sickness when ascending.

My preventative measures are: taking a cortisone steroid tablet before diving, not diving in any situations where I may encounter strong currents.

2. The other problem is that Asthma medicine can slow down my body’s ability to release nitrogen. This means that I am putting myself at risk of decompression sickness simply by ascending the normal way.

My preventative measures are: no deep dives (no deeper than 18m…no matter what), a slower than usual ascend rate with numerous safety stops, longer than usual surface time between multiple dives. It may mean less bottom time and less dives in a day, but at least I get to dive.

If things do go wrong, then so be it. I put my live at serious risk every day just by riding my scooter to work, even crossing a road on a pedestrian crossing can get me killed where I live.

My instructor recommended this forum, and I have spent a great deal of time here recently reading many helpful posts about gear, photography and more. Right now I will keep my eyes on the photography forum (as that will be the next big purchase).

Hi jands,

It's clear that you know yourself, are aware of the problems you might encounter while diving with your asthma, and are prepared to accept the consequences without blaming anybody.
As long as you don't jeopardize somebody else's safety, I don't see anything wrong with your decision. Welcome aboard.
A friend of mine who is an asthmatic also dives in both cold and warm waters. Perhaps physician divers or asthmatic divers could share what works for them while diving, in this forum.

Roland
cim72lando

Back
Top Bottom