Newbie Diver from Toronto, Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tofishguy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver with with 16 dives under my belt, 9 of which include my advanced certification dives.

So far I have dived in Ontario twice, Negril Jamaica and in Santa Maria Cuba. I am currently contemplating a trip to Santa Lucia Cuba for a diving trip and would appreciate any other suggestions or advice.

Hey Tofishguy. As for suggestions and being that you are based in T.Dot, you should consider getting dry certed and explore the Great Lakes wrecks. Lake Superior and Michigan offer an abundance of wrecks for divers of varying training and experience. Be sure to keep up your diving to keep your skills sharp. Investing in your own kit, getting a designated dive buddy or joining a local club will give you that motivation to get out there. See if your LDS offers weekend "fun-dives" - many do. Shoot me a PM if you have any other Q's.

Welcome. :cheers:

howdy and welcome........i'm unable to go to Cuba due to USA restrictions.....perhaps you can tell us how the diving is there ?

Hello and welcome to sb. It is a great place to hang out. Ontario has some great diving and I plan to do a lot of dives in your end of the town this year. Let us stay in touch.

Cheers -

CS

I am a new diver with with 16 dives under my belt, 9 of which include my advanced certification dives.

So far I have dived in Ontario twice, Negril Jamaica and in Santa Maria Cuba. I am currently contemplating a trip to Santa Lucia Cuba for a diving trip and would appreciate any other suggestions or advice.

Hey tofishguy, the diving in Cuba and Jamaica are nice. There is actually a lot of diving in the Caribbean area. You should also consider places like St. Lucia, Dominica (not Dominion Republic), Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba, Grenada. These are all good for new divers. Chat up people on the dives and get recommendations for other locations as well. The list of dive locations seem endless.

Diving out by Mallorytown/Brockville in Ontario is pretty cool as well. It gets warm (for Canada) in July/August and there are hundreds of wrecks within recreational dive limits. You can start diving around the wrecks for years of diving. You don't need to get dry suit certified to dive local. I'm still diving wet. It just means the dive season for local diving is April/May to September/October. Check out local shops to see if they have any weekend excursions to the Brockville area.

There is also charters out of Humber Bay to dive the wrecks near Toronto. They are fun to do every once in a while. Check out http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ontario/460914-humber-bay-weekly-charter.html. This shop does Humber Bay as well as trips to Brockville and Cuba.

P.S. if you go to Cuba, bring unopened soap, shampoo, etc. and use it for tips. This stuff costs a lot of money in Cuba. So staff at the hotels will appreciate $20 in toiletries more than a $100 tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom