Newbie camera equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm sure that this topic has been addressed before, but products change, so here goes.

I don't shoot UW photos because it looks like a PITA. That, and I fear that it might interfere with the meditative aspects of diving which is why I dive. But I am going to Indonesia, and will see things that I may never see again, so I am noodling on the idea of purchasing camera equipment.

So freeflow with your opinions on what you consider the best set up for a new photographer, who does not want UW photography to become a PITA or burden. Something easy to travel with, with the least amount of complexity which still delivers good photos at reasonable depths, and perhaps something that would do well on land.

Thanks!

Honestly, forget the camera and carry a wad of cash for beer. :)
The best way I know of to get great photos with little work and none of the hassel is to pick out a couple of photogs amoung your dive buddies and buy them a few beers. Odds are they will be willing to send you a copy of all their photos......or that has worked on me a bunch of times. :) I have sent CD all over the world to people I have met on dive trips...or take me with you, I can shoot for you and carry your gear too.

Are you diving with us at the quarry any this year?

Honestly, forget the camera and carry a wad of cash for beer. :)
The best way I know of to get great photos with little work and none of the hassel is to pick out a couple of photogs amoung your dive buddies and buy them a few beers. Odds are they will be willing to send you a copy of all their photos......or that has worked on me a bunch of times. :) I have sent CD all over the world to people I have met on dive trips...or take me with you, I can shoot for you and carry your gear too.

Are you diving with us at the quarry any this year?

You know, I was ahead of you on that idea Herman. My friend and I got on Skype to figure out how much storage was on my IPOD and the agreement to share his pictures and those of others has already been made! But some day I do want to explore the photography idea, just not sure I want to do it badly enough yet but am toying with it.

But your offer is pretty darn good, photography AND carrying my gear? NICE!

I will be out at the quarry as soon as it warms up a bit, unless you know someone with a spare 7mm which will fit me :) I haven't been wet since Sept 12th when the bottom dropped out of the world! I'm eager to get back in.

I would look at one of several good, small, high quality P&S camera's, with a tray and arms and the small Inon strobe.

The Panasonic zs7, for example, with their housing. Does HD video, has a great zoom range and at it's widest, is 25mm. Great land camera also.

Where you are going, HD videos can be nicer than stills.

I dearly love photo mementos of my scuba dives, yet have neither the knowledge, skill, patience of tolerance to mess with manual settings, external strobes, post-processing RAW files (I do use Adobe Photo Shop Elements to 'Auto Levels' on some, which very easily & quickly gives me a result I can take or leave) - I'm just a hobbyist snap shooter. And with a G10, Canon UW housing, no external strobe & 'Auto Levels,' I got this in Bonaire:

Richard%20SD%201%20249.jpg

I have a lousy memory for what I see on dives unless I take photos.

I like photos I took and own the rights to use, reproduce and so forth. I like making Blurb books as souvenirs of our trips.

So, in a nutshell, if you're heading off somewhere exotic, special & maybe 'once in a lifetime,' for crying out loud, take a point-and-shoot camera with an UW housing, let the camera's built-in flash be enough, shoot high quality JPEGs, use the camera's underwater mode, and take snap-shots.

I think the Canon G11 or maybe S90 (I think it is), with a Canon UW case, would be a fine choice. Remember, you're going to want a bunch of sweet topside photos, too.

Richard.

I would look at one of several good, small, high quality P&S camera's, with a tray and arms and the small Inon strobe.

The Panasonic zs7, for example, with their housing. Does HD video, has a great zoom range and at it's widest, is 25mm. Great land camera also.

Where you are going, HD videos can be nicer than stills.

Bali for a week of land based diving followed by a liveaboard in Komodo.

Not sure I know what your first sentence means, but I will keep track of this thread and look into everyone's recommendations. Thanks!

might look @ a Canon S90---since the 570's are DC'ed....no ext strobe is necessary IMO for some good shots(but again, depends on your definition of 'good' shots)......

look @ some of my 570's in my sig---no ext strobe & using the lowly Canon UW housing....can blow many up to 8X10s & get good results.... example:
shrimp50.jpg

and most pics @ the 1st link in my sig

Lulubelle, I think it is going to depend on your budget. If you are looking for a decent set up for under $300, you are probably going to be looking at a used camera, unless you have a camera already and there is a case for it. This is what I did when I first started taking pics. I had an old Canon laying around and found a case for it on Ebay. I have less that $100 invested in my old setup and it does a decent enough job for what I wanted.

If you have a budget of under $500, dont have a camera already and dont want to go used, look at a simple point and shoot Canon Camera for around $200 and the matching case for around $250 (or less).

If you want something with a little more bang you will spend at least $1000. If you want something with a strobe you need even more. It all depends but for less than $500 you can get a nice setup that will work both under water and above water for all your vacation needs.

Most of the point and shoot camera's can do videos as well. Might not be National Geographic ready but good enough to show the folks back home. All you do is make sure that the O-Ring for the case is clean, and lubed with silicone, put the camera (with battery and memory card installed) in the case, put a moisture muncher in the case also, close the case, make sure it is sealed, turn the camera on and start taking pics. The camera will do most of the work, and you get nice memories to boot.

I enjoy taking pics underwater, I dont find that it interrupts the peacefulness that I get either. I just like taking pics to remind me of what I saw and why I dive. I dont sit forever waiting for something to happen though. I find the picture taking relaxing sometimes as well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

luckydays, I should have a budget, but I don't. I had occasion last fall to realize that I need to be a little LESS responsible with my money! I am more concerned about selecting something that I will actually travel with and use.

drrich2 and diver 85, great photos! It is helpful to see what various setups actually produce.

luckydays, when are you NC bound? North or South of Cape Lookout. I may run into you if you are diving out of Morehead.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

luckydays, I should have a budget, but I don't. I had occasion last fall to realize that I need to be a little LESS responsible with my money! I am more concerned about selecting something that I will actually travel with and use.

drrich2 and diver 85, great photos! It is helpful to see what various setups actually produce.

luckydays, when are you NC bound? North or South of Cape Lookout. I may run into you if you are diving out of Morehead.

There are a lot of options out there is budget is not a concern. You can look at one of other Canon cameras like the G11 or the S90. If you want to stay basic, get the Canon underwater case, if you want a little more, you can add strobes later.

The nice things with point and shoot cameras is that they are so easy to just take pics and go. Quality pics are easy to come by and everyone seems to like them. The more features the camera has the more complicated it can become and then it because a PITA if you get frustrated by it. Good luck and let us know what you pick.

I will be diving with Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City Sept 6-9th. My shop is coming to the area for a week dive trip and I am joining them. I'll send you a note when it gets closer and maybe we can get a dive in or have a drink or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom