newb: get a strobe or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am not an underwater photographer. I bring along a Canon P&S w/ UW housing/flash diffuser in my bellows pocket to take a few shots of anything that is interesting so that I can show the kids afterward. I have read this article: Underwater Camera Articles: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2010 and am thinking about getting a Fantasea Remora strobe since my P&S photos are often not evenly illuminated and the slow shutter speed makes for blurry images at times. My buoyancy control is quite good, but it can be better and I am working on that. The problem is that while the P&S will fit in my bellows pocket, the strobe certainly will not. This might change the flavour of my dives, making the camera a more obtrusive part of the dive. Has anyone ever tried clipping off a camera + strobe on their back rear crotch strap D-ring? Will it be obtrusive during a dive? I suspect that I might just stick with the camera and no strobe...

Macro shots do not need a strobe, generally. And you can do a lot with post-production. I use Photoshop Elements and I'm always suprised how much better my pictures (also taken without a strobe) look after a little tweaking.

That being said, it's also true that a strobe is the gold standard.

This picture was shot in about 40FSW with no strobe. I'm no professional by any means, but I think it turned out nice.

Attachments

• PICT0014.jpg
    PICT0014.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 42
Like Dirty-Dog said you can do a lot with macro shots using the internal strobe and post-processing.

You can do even more with non-strobe shots if:
1. you shoot RAW.
2. If you don't have RAW then next best is "custom" white balance and calibrate it off a white card at varying depths.
3. If you don't have "custom" white balance then the "underwater" white balance setting.
4. If you don't have "underwater" then use the "underwater" Action file for Photoshop in post-processing which greatly helps "bluish" non-strobe photos taken with "auto" white balance.

You can't shoot faster moving subjects at much less that 1/80 shutter speed or they will blur. Raising your ISO speed (if you can) will alleviate that but will also add more "noise" to your photos. If you are using a camera that does not allow for manual F stop and shutter speed settings you are more limited.

I don't recommend letting a camera and strobe hang off any part of your gear while diving.

If you like just carrying a camera while diving then stick with that and focus more on post-processing.

I assume that Dirty-Dog was referring to an external strobe, as you certainly need some sort of strobe for decent underwater photography more than a few feet deep. Many point and shoots have internal strobes which are good enough for macro, where they don't have to send light through too much water...

If you really want to take your images to the next level, though, a good strobe, off camera, is by far and away the best thing that you can do to improve your results. Modern cameras are pretty advanced in terms of sensor and electronics, but good off-camera light really makes a big difference - especially once you move out of the macro realm. Like most things, the results and the overhead (in terms of cost and bulk to drag around) is a tradeoff.

Get a strobe..... it will take you pics to the next level.....

Assumes you have the $$$$$$$.....

M

Back
Top Bottom