Newb from Nebraska headed to Key Largo December. Hello, Advise.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

Planning a trip December 10-17. Flying to Key West. Bus to Key Largo. First 3 days (11,12,13) open water cert (includes 6 dives). I then am looking at 3 days extra diving. Will do PADI online. Have Dr. release done.

I think I have some good leads (from PADI site) but if anyone can steer me towards must see/do I'd appreciate it. After getting open water certified, if I'm as comfortable as I think I'll be, I'd like to get some experience with deeper dives. I saw an unlimited dive package 2 trips per day that looks good but wonder about wave limitations in December. Or, should I sign up for a punch card type of deal?

Also, easy to stay put in Key Largo, but was considering additional location(s) somewhere between key Largo and Key West if worthwhile for a newb. I do plan to go back to Keys again but never sure. My bucket list item is to eventually do some deeper diving in Belize and I also love photography. Training and experience.

Also, all equipment provided for the PADI cousrse is included I've looked at, but most of the other dives require fins, mask, snorkle. I have some snorkle gear that is old but planning to purchase at least new mask and snorkle and use old stuff as back-up. Thought it would be best to buy in Key Largo where I can be sure of fit but would like to save money on good gear if possible.

Any and all suggestions advise for a newb would be appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, I'll be looking around the site the next few days.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Good Luck & Good Diving.

Take it one step at a time. You are most likely in good hands with your Dive Shop that is certifying you. Concentrate on getting your certification, and worry about must do's, deeper dives, and photography later after you have some dives under your belt. Have fun down there, and use these first dives to polish the skills you will be taught.

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard! :admingreet:

I haven't been to Key Largo in years, but there used to be a huge dive store there with good gear sales.

Divers Direct – Largest SCUBA Store in Key Largo

99621 Overseas Hwy (US 1)
Key Largo, FL 33037
Tel: (305) 451-0118
kl21.gif
kl22.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom