NewB BP/W Question - This wing for a single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most, I am curious: why did you buy that wing? Are you trying to address multiple tanks and single tanks with one wing? Did the LDS suggest it? In my opinion, a wing that is advertised as being suitable for both single tanks and double tanks doesn't work well with either.

You will need separate cam bands for single tanks with a BP/W. I assume from your post that the shop didn't go over that? A STA (single tank adapter) would probably be a good idea with that wing should you decide to keep it for single tank diving, despite the excellent advice you've received in this thread.

Makes me wonder what else they missed - OR - what you told them you didn't want to buy when you purchased that wing.

STAs arent "needed" per se. DSS rigs work extremely well without STAs.

Last edited:
That wing reminds of the yahoos, that dive the OMS 94 lb wing with single AL80s. Take it back and get a 30 or 40lb wing for single tanks.

Well, I went in wanting a back inflate jacket. I walked out with, I think an Edge back inflate jacket, size xl. I got home and was messing with it and realized that the waist strap was close to being cinched down all the way. I'm 215lbs (down from 265) and continuing to lose weight - so I realized it wasn't going to be very long before it would be too big for me and took it back to exchange for a large.

As I was walking around the shop, my wife said she was surprised I didn't want the bp/w they had there. They had just thrown it together for show around the shop, and I didn't know very much about it. I asked how much it was and it was "only" $50 more so I said, heck yeah. The guy selling it didn't know much about it, said that some of the other guys dove with those - I got the impression it was some of the other tech guys. So I bought it.

I went back and told them about concerns and bumped into the guy that made it and talked with him about the size. As one of you guys said, here it comes, he said I could cinch it down with the bungee's that run around it and showed me what he was talking about. I did buy a single tank adapter for it. So that's the story of why & how I got it.

So, now with it chinched down, and the STA, it looks more manageable. But you guys think I really need to exchange the wing? I'd like to go tech and doubles in the future - but not the near future. I'd rather have a great time on vacation and get the appropriate gear at the right time.

Thanks for all your feedback so far.

PC

Ps. The HOG single wing - this one? Hog 32 Lb Wing For Single Tank @ Divers-Supply.com

I would say yes, definitely keep the plate/harness/crotch strap/etc and trade that wing for the 32lb hog wing for singles & travel. It's the right tool for the job and it'll take up less space in your luggage and probably weigh less. When you move to tec and start diving doubles, a 2nd wing will be one of the cheapest things you will have to buy...more like a drop in the bucket. Also, your tec instructor will help you chose the proper wing (lift, type, etc) for your cylinders. Since you will already have the BP, you just swap wings - all your harness stuff will be the same - muscle memory - so you will already be comfortable in your system.

I guess post didn't make it.

I have 32lb HOG wing mentioned. I'll be happy to lend it to you. I PMed you my cell #. If you wish we can go diving to LKN Quarry tomorrow so you can test it out and you can borrow it to test dive and even for your vacation as long as I have your contact info.

eelnoraa, you are right for AL80 however if he'll be diving the quarry here in the area he will need thicker wetsuit or drysuit and 32lb will come handy.

But you guys think I really need to exchange the wing? I'd like to go tech and doubles in the future - but not the near future. I'd rather have a great time on vacation and get the appropriate gear at the right time.=

"tech and doubles" is so obscenely expensive that the cost of the wing is largely irrelevant. Get what you want now for the diving you're doing now and worry about the rest later.

So, now with it chinched down, and the STA, it looks more manageable. But you guys think I really need to exchange the wing? I'd like to go tech and doubles in the future - but not the near future. I'd rather have a great time on vacation and get the appropriate gear at the right time.

Well, you did ask, and it's been pretty much unanimous that you should exchange the oversize wing for one appropriate for single tank diving.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom