NewB BP/W Question - This wing for a single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are properly weighted, even at the beginning of the dive you only need ~ enough air in the BC to float the air you intend to breath. At the end of the dive, how much air do you really need in the BC to keep yourself afloat? :idk:

DevonDiver - will it be a problem? If I'm careful not to inflate it? Do I NEED to exchange it for a smaller wing? I don't want to be dangerous to my safety. I know the lift capacity is overkill.
Yes, sorry ... but it will be a problem. That's way too much wing for any kind of singles diving ... even large steel cylinder with drysuit diving. You won't like it, because you'll feel like the wing's trying to control you rather than the other way around.

The problem isn't just lift capacity ... it's shape. That wing is designed for use with twin tanks, and the center panel is way too large for singles use. Even with the compression bands, the oversized center panel will cause the wing to wrap around your cylinder and you will have difficulty venting air from the wing.

Nobody wants to spend their vacation fighting their equipment ... which is what it will feel like. If at all possible, take it back and get an appropriately sized wing. For tropical water I would recommend something with no more than about 30 lbs of lift, and with a slim profile. Resist the argument (because I can see it coming) that it's a "dual-purpose" wing ... get one that's designed specifically for a singles application. It will be much easier for you to manage, and you'll have much more enjoyable dives because of it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why did you purchase a doubles wing in the first place? Plan on using doubles any time soon? If not, and you can indeed exchange it, you would be well advised to do so.

Also, if you want to just try it out and compare let me know you can borrow it this weekend. If you need some AL80s to go with it I have those as well. As long as you fill them somewhere where they have O2 compatible air as they are O2 cleaned.

Holy crap! 60lb wing for an AL80!? Why didn't your LDS tell you that 60lbs is overkill? Maybe you should come scubaboard first before buying more gear from them.

Back
Top Bottom