New Years drift under the Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an advice, for these tempertures, one piece 7 mil is a no-go. Two pieces is the "Bare" minimum with neoprene socks, an underskin in polyolefin (not just a lycra skin) and a good pair of mittens.

FWIW I have done a number of 36 degree dives and I am a wet 2pc 7mm diver. On those dives that one of our regs did not free flow, we were typically 25 minutes max surface to surface and while it was absolutely freezing, I found my body numbed comfortably enough so for the first 20 minutes it was just the brain freeze that hurt. I also have a dive skin and gloves. These dives are done in the exact same gear configuration as I would dive in 68 degree water. Just colder and shorter dives.

Josh give me an PM before hand, looks like you are the only one responding to drift/ Rod (Copperhead) I think is not coming now, he might be out of town not sure I'll talk to him prior to drift. did you make it to the dinner?

It was decided at the last meeting to continue our annual drift under the bridge New Years Day at 12:00 pm. who is interested in joining us ?

I hate turning down a dive! Sarnia is a bit of a drive for me this time of year. Perhaps once the Holidays are over I will take you up on a dive. I did the Niagara drift dive this year for the first time, we had a great time. Keep us posted and I will definately be there for the next one.

Thanks for the invite!
Have a great dive take some pics for us and be safe!

Rob

In talking to members, we are now meeting at 11:00 am under the bridge. After the drift we will get together at Benards & Shirleys for a get together & bite to eat per E-mail sent earlier. Here is a couple of tips from a site that may Help! for those of us going WET! on a double dare!
Diving Wet When It Is Cold
Pre-Dive
Staying warm requires that your body have fuel to burn. Don't go nuts eating but this is not the time to starve yourself.
Consider setting your rig up at home. This can be more fun than at a cold windy dive site. Sort the gear you will use from all that other contingency stuff.
Arrive at the dive site warm and comfortable. If it means wearing a sweater or driving with the car heater on then do it. Don't arrive with a thermal deficit.
It's never too early to be drinking hot fluids. Avoid excessive Caffeine.
Once you are at the dive site say warm with adequate clothing and a hat and gloves if needed
Gearing up to Dive

Your wetsuit needs to fit well. A 7mm suit with 2X on the core (thighs, groin and torso) is considered standard. More on that here.
Your booties should be 6-7mm neoprene. Seriously consider adding 1-2 mm neoprene sock inside.
Gloves want to be of a gauntlet style that will extend well past your wrists. This style reduces water exchange and places lots of insulation on your wrists where blood runs close to the surface. Cold hands are hazardous and are the cause of many cold water dives ending sooner than desired. There are 3 finger "lobster claw" gloves that some like. I have done well with 5mm 5 finger gauntlet gloves.
Bring some warm water. This water wants to be good and warm but not hot. If it's too hot it will trick your body into cooling itself when you don't want that happening. I like to use refilled ½ liter drinking water bottles in a cooler. If I'm heading straight for the dive site I will just roll 6 bottles tightly in a towel and pack them in the car. For a longer day I heat the cooler shell by filling it with hot water then after adding the filled bottles fill it ½ way with hot water to increase the thermal mass. Others use a collection of picnic jugs, it's all good. More on using the water is coming up.
So you are now in your wetsuit and you have pulled your socks and booties on. Pour some of that hot water into the socks and booties before zipping up. The concept is that water will enter your suit. You can let Mother Nature fill the gaps with frigid water or you can beat her to the punch with something delightful. Fill the socks and booties ½ way and they will probably overflow as you zip them and your suit legs.
Before or after donning your rig prime your suit. Pour 2 bottles down the neck. Be sure to sway side to side so you feel it go down your arms to the wrists. Again you are getting warm water in there before the cold stuff can enter. By priming the suit you can make entering frigid water hardly noticeable.
As much as possible keep your hands and the outside of your suit dry to limit evaporative cooling. Keep a towel handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom