New Wreck in Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

japan-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We were able to finally get a mooring line on a new wreck we had found last year. The wreck is at 118fsw to the deck and about 135fsw to the bottom. It is quite large and very old - planning a series of exploration dive in the coming week to try to put an ID on the wreck. It is not a war ship but most likely a freighter. Should have some pics to follow soon.

Very nice!! How long til divable to the public?

We will start taking customers out to it next weekend. Our first trip will be announced on the Reef Encounters Dive Team facebook group giving members first shot at seats.

Wow. This is interesting.
Will the dives be strictly technical, or will you be taking recreational dives too?
The depth seems shallow enough for recreational non-penetration dives, but you won't want to bring anyone uncomfortable at depth, hence my question.

We will be offering both recreational diving and tech charters on this wreck. The wreck is sitting upright on the bottom so recreational non-penetration dives are very doable for those comfortable at depth.

I have uploaded a few more photos to the gallery of this wreck and few more we dive over here.

Attachments

• DSC_2570.jpg
    DSC_2570.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P1030425.jpg
    P1030425.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 167
  • P1030444.jpg
    P1030444.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 194
I know this is an old thread but any updates on identity of it?

We have been unable to identify the wreck - we believe it is a very large barge, quite old from compared to other wrecks in the area that we have dates on. Currently working on 2 new sites now. Although will be diving this one tomorrow.

cool. i got to dive the emmons shortly after it was opened up back in 00-01 (can't remember exactly what year now)...had to get my wreck fix while i was in guam and now look forward to some more here on oki. i will try and swing by your shop this week or next....my dive buddy just took off for 6 months and now i need to find one for "lunch dives"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom