New with a ? about diving for someone with a disability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daisy1970

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm Daisy and I'm new here. I am 40 years old and have osteo arthritis. I can swim, but obviously will never be a strong swimmer due to the pain in my joints especially my left knee and lower back. I try to stay fit and walk gently for 3 miles a day. For the last 5 years I have been dreaming about diving and doing a dive course but my arthritis has made me think it's a lost cause. Now I have read about disabled divers who are able to SCUBA even with a physical disability so I have some hope. Is it viable for me to do a dive course somewhere with gentle currents, with a dive outfitter who can help me? I was thinking of Indonesia as I will be there for work next year, or I can travel anywhere there is great diving in the world for someone with a physical disability.

You don't need to be a strong swimmer to dive. It certainly helps and being comfortable in water is a must. That being said, I have met many divers with conditions much like yours who dive for pain relief.

Floating at 30 feet - absolutely no pressure on any joints - total relaxation.

Interview operations around where you live and see who will hep you out!

Whenever my wife is asked if she has a handicap she points at me.

But you can find a dive instructor that can have you up to competence and enjoying diving regardless of your mobility issues.

Lucky for you, you've landed on the best place on the planet to get people to help you. Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to ask.

We're here to protect and serve. No. Wait. That's the Highway Patrol....

DC

Welcome.....there are divers many different disabilties.....scuba is workable with many. With yours, the hardest will be above the surface with gear. Check out one of our many sub-forums here:
Divers with Disabilities - ScubaBoard
And feel free to ask again there as you will get more answers.

I have nerve damage from spinal surgery. It has left me with constant pain in my neck and back as well as a weak left leg.

When I got my OW cert (last Oct-Nov on Kauai) I was still using a power chair for community distances and I didnt have any problem at all. As a matter of fact, once in the water I am not handicapped at all. The weightlessness helps a lot and the water pressure actually relieved a lot of the pain I am normally in. Dive operators were more than helpful with getting gear in and out of boats and things like that (actually too helpful at times as I really wanted to do as much of it myself as I could).

The diving on Kauai is not cheap but it was not difficult. Dove with lots of fish, eels, a ray or two, and saw big Hawaiin grean turtles on nearly every dive. There are a couple of turtle cleaning stations and when I dove Sheraton Caverns there were some swim throughs and about 25 turtles all over the place.

Diving actually helped my mobility and that along with a couple of other things I discovered got me into a gym where I was able to put together a good solid workout routine in their pool. I no longer use a power chair at all and often can get along without even my cane.

Good Luck

Thank you everyone, for your welcome and the advice. I feel more optimistic now, after reading all your replies.:blinking:

My husband and I used to teach the disabled in Southern Ontario and the Naigara Reagion in Canada. We were called DAP (Disabled Aquatics Program) and after Gene, the president of PADI Canada at the time fianally gave us the go-ahead, we quickly made the news and enjoyed teaching the disabled. Most of our students though were as severe as parapalegic. PADI rules back then (1990's) were pretty strict but with the use of webbed gloves and constant supervision...ie. their weightbelt sliding dfown and them not feeling it...was overcome by putting weights into their BC's. Although they weren't able to go any further than Open Waters, it was all they could have dreamed for. I, muself, had back and neck problems but that was solved by having our divemasters take my gear into the water so the weight wasn't fully on me like it would have been had I been on the shore or a boat, etc. It was incredibly fulfilling work but sadly when my husband became ill we had to give up diving altogether. A pity, but bitterweet as well. As for you and the arthritis, I would have your buddy do most of the hard work and you shouldn't feel any discomfort while underwater...but I can't promise about later that day or the next. But I always found it well worth it. Good luck in you diving life. And remember, you are no longer a "Surface Person."

Good info for a newbie, especially as I'm in the same boat:I used and abused my body over the years and I'm paying for it now.
Thanks everyone!

KevinL

The reality is there are a lot of us in the same boat.. umm... well you know what I mean. We have been a hard working and playing generation and things just wear out from the use and abuse.

I have been told that double knee replacements are in my future because there is nothing more they can do about my arthritic knees. The worst problem they give me with diving is that at the end of shore dives .. I often have trouble standing up. My buddies know this and allow me the independence of trying to do it on my own but are always close by if I need help. When conditions are rough.. well I just swallow my pride and ask for help before I get in trouble. I am still able to manage carrying my own gear to and from entries unless I am having a really bad flare up.

Back problems and pain are pretty much a constant in my life except when I am diving. My advice on this would be. Don't be reluctant to ask boat operators to slow down in rough conditions (I ruptured a disk by not speaking up and it turned out there were several other people on the boat at the time who where concerned about the speed in the rough conditions).

Next.. you may find it necessary to take your Weights and/or BCD off hook it to a rope and have it pulled aboard that way so you don't carry the weight breaking the surface and climbing the ladder.

I have found that when my back is really playing up.. if I can get a dive to a decent depth and just roll and stretch with the pressure around me it really HELPS my back!

I have never been a particularly strong swimmer either.

Don't miss out on scuba for fear of your problems .. I bet a lot of people are diving successfully and safely with the same issues. The best thing you can do is.. research.. find a good instructr and dive within your limits and training. Over time those two will expand...

Welcome aboard and good diving.. keep us posted.. :happywave:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom