New wetsuit design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papadakis

Reaction score
A while back I read something online about a new type of wetsuit on one of the message boards. I didn't pay much attention at the time but now that I'm trying to find out about it I can't find any information.

They said that the material is thermally resistant like neoprene but unlike neoprene does not crush at increasing depth. Because the material doesn't crush you can wear a thinner wetsuit so the amount of weight you needed to carry is less. The insulating properties don't change at depth either so a 3mm wetsuit provides more insulation than a 7mm neoprene wetsuit. Supposedly it makes boyancy control a lot easier because you don't need to compensate for different depths.

This sounds like a great suit but unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything online except for standard neoprene wetsuits.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Why isn't this kind of suit popular? Does anyone know where I can buy one or how much they cost?

Thanks in advance!

I suppose anything is possible because it was a while ago that I read this but I'm pretty sure they were talking about a wetsuit and the a new material someone was using.

I was at SeaSpace in Houston in July and ran across one of the booths with the wetsuits you are talking about.
They also custom made the suits to fit....it was pretty cool....
There was an example of the pressure test that explained the difference between neoprene and this "new" material....

...with that all said...i have not idea what the companies name was....but i know it was out of Florida.
....and i have all of my SeaSpace paper somewhere at home...i'll try to find it and let you know...

I looked all over last night.......and come to find out....my girlfriend decides to clean up one night.....
and informs me she was tired of looking at the big bag of papers and trinkets from the show.

I remember they had some good deals during the show...and if i didn't have a wetsuit for every occasion....i would have bought one from them...

If you pick one up....let me know how it goes for ya.

Carl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom