New VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ironworker377

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just received my VT3 and noticed it had 1A firmware on ocean log. What is the most recent version of firmware and does mine need to be upgraded?

The latest firmware I've seen on a VT3 is Revision 1E. As far as what's changed since 1A... no idea.

One slight point of intrest... The first batch of VT3's had the logo "OCEANIC" as well as the symbols for the buttons 'cut out' of the metal around the face. (For lack of better terms :p) Since then, they have switched to laser engraving their name and button symbols. (I personally like the origonal style, the laser engraved is a gold color which is not as visable. But that is a VERY minor detail) The revision 1E model is laser engraved.

I'm also interested in whats changed since 1A... since I'll be going on a trip soon. X)

What is the difference between the 1A and 1E version ?

I have firmware 1d. So I guess it's relatively new.

Any way of updating the firmware onto the VT3?

TIA

:14:

You can contact your local Oceanic dealer to see if they will do the firmware update for you. Or, you can contact Oceanic service and they should send you a disc with the new firmware on it.

Updating the firmware is simple to do.

My Oceanlog shows that I haver firmware 1H (although it's not connected to the VT3.) I think that's the revision on my VT3.

If you have the cable, you can try updating the firmware yourself. I wouldn't suggest this if you need the VT3 for a dive anytime soon, because when I tried to update my VT3, I bricked it.

You might try reading some of the older posts regarding firmware versions. If you are going to use the VT3 for a buddy check, I seem to recall you need Ver. 1F minimum--but read the older posts and check Oceanic's website. If you don't have a newer version and you try to do a buddy check you can be fooled, the VT3 might (I think that is will) continue showing the last buddy pressure until you reconnect. And if you don't know that you haven't reconnected, well you keep seeing the old pressure. Newer version blanks the buddy pressure when you are not connected, IIRC.

I don't have a clue what the other fixes were when the went from one version to another. I haven't had any problems with my VT3 at the 1H, and didn't have any prior to my upgrading the firmware. That said, I would suggest using the latest firmware possible, once the firmware has been out for a few months and others have said it's working fine (unless it's a critical firmware update, one that would affect your safety if you didn't upgrade the firmware.) Does that make sense? Nope, you might have guessed, I don't like release 0 of any software.

Regards,

Jeff

JohnsIsland, thanks for the 4-1-1.

Do you recall how you bricked the VT3 and how you resolved the issue?

I decided to replace the battery first and after the initialization countdown, all I got was "CAL" and "ALT" and then a blank screen.

:14:

HERE is the thread that provided the info on how to patch to revision 1F. This obviously only applies to people with r1A through r1E.

My brother just got a brand spanking new VT3 from Oceanic and it has a firmware r2c (or d I forget). Oceanic said it is a newer chipset so the "r2" firmwares are not for the older ones.

Sno,

I don't know how I bricked my VT3, but I do know how I solved it--the VT3 took a quick trip to the FANTASTIC customer service department of Oceanic. Quick fix, and returned to me quickly.

AFAIK, it's not much of a risk to flash the firmware in your VT3 IF it's in warranty (YMMV, all standard disclaimers, I am not paying for your brick no matter what, etc..) If your VT3 is out of warranty, I would suggest that you should not flash the firmware yourself. If the dealer does the work, and it's bricks, then maybe they have a way to have it fixed for free. Otherwise I would suggest a return to our friends at Oceanic.

Perhaps Doug has something to say on this subject.

Dan--I wonder what the new hardware and firmware version offers that isn't in my hardware and firmware (1f)? Hey Doug, please may we have some information on the new hardware and firmware?

Thanks,

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom