New UW camera setup: D90 +......?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drpepper

Registered
Reaction score
Dear all,

I currently have a D90 and am planning on getting a housing for it in the near future. Realistically, only the Aquatica and Ikelite are in my price range, and I'm fairly definite on the Aquatica out of the two.

I already have an Inon D2000 strobe as well, from my P&S setup.

My first question is: Can I get TTL with the D90, Aquatica, and D2000?

I gather that the Aquatica housing doesn't support fibreoptic TTL. Not having used electronic TTL before, I don't really have any idea of how to link these up. Or how many bulkheads I should have. Or what a TTL controller is... think I may need one.

My second question is re lenses: As an initial setup (with financial limitations) what would be best value, WA lens + macro lens, or Sigma 17-70 mm?

I know the dedicated lenses would be best in terms of picture quality (and I can afford them at a stretch), but I like the versatility the 17-70 mm would offer, bearing in mind I will be using this for vacation diving and therefore not always know what I'm going to encounter. However, I don't want to be in a false economy situation, whereby I get the 17-70 mm and then wish I had the dedicated lenses and end up shelling out for them too.

Finally, if I went for separate WA and macro lenses, currently I'm looking at the Sigma 10-20 mm f3.5 (over the Tokina fisheye, as I want to use it topside as well) and one of the Nikkor Micros (60 or 105 mm.... or 85 mm, but that's another post). What are people's thoughts on these (Sigma f3.5 vs f4-5.6, and Nikon 85mm newboy vs 60/105 mm)?

Thanks in advance.

drpepper:

1. You can't get TTL with the D2000 on any housingas he is a optically triggered strobe. Not even the Ikelite will alow to trigger him... Using a cable solution you need a new strobe as they are no external controllers from cable --> optical triggered strobe
2. Tokina 11-17mm WA and a used Nikon 60 or 105mm macro
3. I have no experience with Sigma or the Nikor Micro 85mm

Chris

I have never owned the 105mm macro, but I do use the 85mm 3.5 and it is pretty awesome. I think with the crop sensor it is about the equivalent of 125mm. It's also about half the price of the 105, I think.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be shelling out for another strobe!

If I were to get an Inon Z240, what other bits do I need to connect it? Any other strobe advice greatly appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom