New travel rig design?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

First post from a casual lurker.

I'm a warm water vacation diver interested in getting a travel friendly BP/W. So far I've always rented BCDs at the destination. I have an idea for a different approach to a single tank travel plate and I'm looking for feedback.

It's based on the shoulder and lumbar plates of a side mount harness, but the lumbar plate is the width of back plate, and the upper cam band is attached to the spine webbing. So the lumbar plate provides sway stability for the tank (i.e. prevents it from rolling left to right across your back); it's only tall enough for the cam slots and the harness slots. Since the upper cam band is attached to the spine webbing just below the shoulder plate, this keeps the tank aligned vertically, and not tilting sideways like a metronome. Otherwise, it uses a Hogarthian harness.

This lumbar plate design is smaller than a soft plate so it fits into your luggage easily, and is also very light. Given its small size, it can be rigid and still packable, so may provide better stability than a soft plate (but I'm speculating here as I've never used one). I guess another way to describe this lumbar plate is like the bottom part of a dog bone plate.

One thing I wonder about is if a dive shop will have any qualms about taking me out with this unconventional setup.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

The wing far outweighs a standard AL plate & harness. I don't think you're saving much.

I mean tanks used to be mounted top, and bottom, with just webbing so why not

013.JPG

Here is a later version of your design with all the missing pieces of metal filled in

Imagine that bottom bit twisting around when there's only webbing for a top bit

The why not is stability

and it is far more practical to take a larger matchbox, to pack your travel stuff in

I had seen the sidemount rig as a singles rig concept a while back and it got me thinking too (Can anybody ID the components in this ultralight S-BM/SM harness & wing?)

At a certain point when you add the "STA" to the lumbar plate you are getting pretty close to a dog-bone plate, at the potential trade for significant stability.

SubGravity doesn't appear to be making the Golem Stream plate since they bought the line, but it was unusual in having a built in single tank cradle, while being usable for a twinset too.
IMG_3188.jpg

Why they have the pic rotated 180, I don't know ...

With a little ( :rofl3: ) work, it can be made to work with independent doubles using just 2 sets of cam bands.
onmill-jpg.751742

JD,

After reading the thread you linked, it sounds like you were onto the same approach as I am but didn't actually assemble one? (red/yellow rig here: Backplate and wing - Wikipedia) The lumbar plate appears to have an M bend in it like the Golem plate, providing roll/sway stability and it looks about as wide as a soft plate, putting the waist belt slots ~8" apart.

That's what I want.

Did you make any progress with this setup, or find out any more info on it?

What are you gaining over an AL dogbone plate?

If you aren't going to use it for doubles, you can flatten out the wings to make it a little more comfortable and lower profile.

JD,

After reading the thread you linked, it sounds like you were onto the same approach as I am but didn't actually assemble one? (red/yellow rig here: Backplate and wing - Wikipedia) The lumbar plate appears to have an M bend in it like the Golem plate, providing roll/sway stability and it looks about as wide as a soft plate, putting the waist belt slots ~8" apart.

That's what I want.

Did you make any progress with this setup, or find out any more info on it?
I did not end up pursuing the ultra-minimalist approach, at least yet. I could see it as part of a travel backpack setup but that is a big custom build project and not really necessary for me now.

The modified Stream plate lets me use one harness and plate for just about any diving I might do just by adding\removing cambands and choosing an appropriate wing. Not as comforatble as my Freedom Plate, but more versatile (FWIW, Eric's plate had a date with the mill too to add some mounting holes).

Yeah there's rigs for divers for diving and rigs for travellers for travelling, that can't afford a bigger suitcase

004.JPG

But then there's also that scary sidemount that like Morlocks, should never be permitted out of their caves

Stainless cam and waist buckles drings and triglides and other doohickeys and bungee extra! Free Postage!

Do you feel like you can reach into the photo and flop it all around. I do, even though I don't really have to

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom