New to Z mount Wide Angle Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubalens

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Sorry for what I am sure is a stupid question and I know I have much reading to do to learn this new camera. However need help for this question out of the box. I went through the transition from Film to Digital DX 15 years ago, but now just received my first Z mount camera (Z8) returning to Fullframe. I ordered the FTZII converter and the Nikkor 8-15mm to replace the 10.5 dx used on my D300. If I zoom out more than 12mm the frame is not filled and just a small circular image at 8mm, I popped on my 24-80 lenses also with converter and at 24mm the corners are very slightly rounded off. I thought the camera might be on DX mode but when I found the setting in Menu it appears to be FX 36x24. Any help is appreciated.

This is by design. At 8mm, this lens is what is called a circular fisheye, projecting a full 180 degree hemisphere onto a circle on the film/sensor, surrounded by black. Some people like this look, many don't. If you don't want it, and would like the ability to zoom in for a tighter shot, you can add a Kenko Teleplus HD Pro teleconverter, either the 1.4x version that will give you approximately 11-15mm accessible zoom range, or the 2x, which will turn the lens into a 16-30mm fisheye. Both will lose some resolution and light.

Sounds like you've got quite the setup there! I'm not super familiar with the Z8, but from what I understand, the circular image at 8mm is normal for that lens. Have you tried playing around with different focal lengths to see where the sweet spot is for your underwater shots?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom