New to Videography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby Berenson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am new to underwater video, I own a Sony HDR-HC7 camcorder. I need to upgrade my computer to do some editing. I am running XP. Any suggestions on what type of video card and editing software. I don't need to get top of line. My computer is about 6 - 8 years old. I will get a lap top in the future.

Thanks

Practically speaking there is no 6-8 year old computer that can be upgraded to capture HDV video from your HC7. It's not the video card as much as it is the requirements that HD editing has for processor speed, memory and hard drive speed.

Here's the minimum requirements to be able to capture HDV footage using Adobe's Premiere Elements, an entry level HD editing package:

Intel® Pentium® 4 or Celeron® 1.7GHz (or compatible) processor;
(Pentium 4 3GHz processor required for HD or Blu-ray)
Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista®
For Windows XP: 512MB of RAM (1GB required for HD or Blu-ray)
For Windows Vista: 1GB of RAM (2GB required for HD or Blu-ray)
4.5GB of available hard-disk space
Color monitor with 16-bit color video card
1,024x768 monitor resolution at 96dpi or less
Microsoft DirectX 9 or 10 compatible sound and display driver
DVD-ROM drive (compatible DVD burner required to burn DVDs; compatible Blu-ray burner required to burn Blu-ray Discs)
DV/i.LINK/FireWire/IEEE 1394 interface to connect a Digital 8 or DV camcorder, or a USB2 interface to connect a DV-via-USB-compatible DV camcorder (other video devices supported via the Media Downloader)

They don't list it but you'll capture video more easily with a 7200RPM drive also if your BIOS will support it. But it likely won't without a third party software add-on due to the age of your computer. And if you can get the bios to recognize all of the drive, you'll also need an UltraDMA add on controller most likely since your existing drive controller won't be able to handle the increased throughput.

Another limitation you'll likely run into with a machine that old is that it your motherobard likely won't support a faster processor. Or if it will upgrade, probably not a fast enough processor. Not to mention that the chip socket might not be compatible with any of today's processors.

Swapping your motherboard might be an option if you have an ATX-style case. If it's an AT case you're going to find your options are really limited...If it's also a proprietary design by one of the big manufacturers you may also find that options are limited - they have a nasty way of being just non-standard enough so you can't swap motherboards.

If you want to edit HDV, it might be cheaper to buy a new fast machine. I haven't priced them lately but I'm sure that you can get one under $1000 that will meet all your needs.

I have a 5yr. old Sony VAIO, The "V" in VAIO stands for Video so it's a machine that was built to edit video. It's too slow and not upgradeable to allow it to be used for HD editing. So it's now my Internet box, I'm typing this on it...

However, your HC7 does have the capability to output in SD so if you can upgrade your old computer to meet the minimum specs, you'll still be able to capture and edit SD video. And you can save your HDV footage on the original tapes for when get a faster machine.

Some software options: Adobe Elements at $100, Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum for $129, and Pinnacle Studio at around $100. All will edit in SD now and later in HDV.

What type of graphics does your motherboard support - SVGA, AGP or PCI? I don't think anyone sells a video card that's not AGP or better. Except maybe on eBay.

I agree with Steve, you have got to get a new computer. I recommend getting one as a stand-alone and not hooked up to internet (which will make it faster). I did this last year when I started video and it really is nice. I can have my editing program running on that computer and be on the internet (or some other family member) on this computer at the same time. You can get what you need for under $1000 - you need a good video card and lots of memory as the video editing software needs it. Most good video software runs around $100.

Editing takes alot of time and you have to run the video clips over and over as you edit - expect to spend 10% of your time shooting video, 90% editing!

robin

I am new to underwater video, I own a Sony HDR-HC7 camcorder. I need to upgrade my computer to do some editing. I am running XP. Any suggestions on what type of video card and editing software. I don't need to get top of line. My computer is about 6 - 8 years old. I will get a lap top in the future.

Thanks

Bobby, I just went thru the same exercise earlier this year. If you have the budget for a new PC, build or buy one with a fast dual core CPU (Intel E6600 was in the price/performance sweetspot when I built mine), plenty of ram, a number of large fast HDD's. Depending on what you plan on doing, I don't think you'll need to splurge out for a top of the end graphics cards which are geared more to 3D gaming. You could make yourself a nice machine for around $1,000. And something not to forget, a good size monitor (it's not fun editing video on a tiny 17" screen...).

I forgot to bookmark the site but there was one online video related PC shop that had some great guides and recommendations for building a HDV ready editing machine for various budgets.

edit: Ah found the site... note it is a bit dated having been written in Apr 07. Whether you choose to build a PC yourself or get one built, this will give an idea of what components you'll want.

Videoguys DIY guides for building your own computer for Digital Video

yeah get a mac. i recentlt switched from a pc to a mac and will never lok back. i just got new ilife a few days ago and don't know about all the changes yet. just get a mac. if you do a lot of video editing you may want the extra umph of a macbook pro.

I switched back in 2001 when I got into editing and it changed my life, no exaggeration. Mainly because it started me on a whole new career but that's besides the point. I'm a Final Cut Pro guy so I haven't fooled with iMovie yet but I know lots of people who have edited great videos in iMovie and it doesn't require the knowledge base that FCP does. I'd also have to say that the majority of the people that knock Macs are the ones who haven't used them and are too stubborn to see what all the hype is about. One thing that people forget is that when you buy a mac you're paying the extra money for hardware and software. No more viruses, no more registry errors and no more "windows wants to open this program, is that okay with you?" pop-up windows!

Good luck with your upgrade!

Billy

I just started doing vidoe a couple of months ago and got used to the imoviehd. Then I upgraded to the ilife 08 version and to me it seems like it is barely half of what the old version was. It may resemble final cut a little, but has no power...am I missing something here? How do you turn the audio off on a certain track for instance?

Back
Top Bottom