New to underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:perv: Some good advice and I will try not to repeat what's been said already.

When I see an interesting subject I will take a shot, approach a little very slowly and take another, approach and take another. This way I have a better chance of getting something before the critter presents me with the opportunity to take a shot of its south end going north! Patience and slow approach give more chances at the subject but ambush works too. When the subject comes out of hiding you can often catch them. :rofl3: I've been known to stick the camera under a rock or in a narrow space press wait for it to focus and shoot! Have actually got some decent shots of shy critters that way:)

Some people experiment by taking shots of slow moving or non moving things like nudis, starfish and seahorses.

Another good bit of advice I got was to attach some white micropore tape inside the housing in front of the flash as a diffuser.

:no: Caution :no: It is very easy to get so into taking pictures that you don't watch your guages as closely as you should. :D mostly you just need to get out there, have fun take heaps of pics and you will learn what works for you :blinking:

Don't look at shots others get with expensive equipment and heaps of practice and let it effect your enjoyment of you own shots. :blinking:

..........Don't look at shots others get with expensive equipment and heaps of practice and let it effect your enjoyment of you own shots. :blinking:

But do let those other impressive photos be what you strive for. I certainly do but they seem to get better as I improve darn it..:rofl3:. Although a beautiful and colourful subject can make for a great shot, some of the best photos I have seen here on SB (for both topside and below the surface) have been of less brilliant things. It boils down to many of the things that have been said on here (like framing, lighting etc.). But diver85 said it (and others).....shoot, shoot more and then shoot more. Look at the pictures and learn from the "mistakes".

Share your pictures often. We like to follow improvement (and maybe I will be striving for your photos soon).

:DWell said:D Strive to improve take heaps of shots but the mistakes :blinking: I have seen some great mistakes :) some of the most interesting effects I have seen have been the result of "mistakes"!:blinking: New techniques tricks and effects often come from those of us that haven't learned what you can't do and what doesn't work :rofl3:

Wow, excellent tips and advice! I'll add:

Pool time, get to know your housing, camera, shoot flesh it's a great test of exposure.

Study one subject, perhaps something non-moving, take pix until you really know one subject, with your rig. When you have 600 images of an anemone, you really learn something.

Thanks to everyone who posted such good advice. After diving with a camera for the first time this weekend, I must admit I'm even more impressed with the wonderful shots I see posted here and other places. Underwater photography is a great art and skill. :thumb: And I most definitely have a long road of learning and practice ahead of me; especially after looking through my photos from my four dives this weekend. :confined:

Feel free to post your pictures to share with everybody. You are right, it is an art and skill that needs to be mastered. But as long as you can do it safely, it is tremendous fun (even if the photography portion has not been mastered - like me). I can hardly spell DSLR let alone use one, but I still love shooting with my Nikon P&S with Ike housing and strobe. So, share away and if you DO want criticism and critiquing, either ask for it in the bdy of the thread OR put C&C in the title. There is an ocean full of great and usefull information here at SB....tap into it and take a drink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom