New to underwater photography. What kind of camera to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmneus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to underwater photography, I used some underwater cameras on dives years ago but they were just rentals. I'm going on a trip to Roatan in March and want something to capture the amazing-ness! Something simple and easy to use, basic, but good....I'm on a budget as well.
Or....should I just rent one there?
Thank you!

The canon S series is nice.

S-95, S-100, S-110.

They are all very similar. The higher numbers are the newer models.
S-90 came before but it doesnt shoot hd video. I had an S-90 and it took excellent shots. It has an underwater mode that somewhat compensates for the blue tint of the water. They also shoot raw so you can do more advanced editing.
They are pocketable out of the housing so great to carry around on land.
They have easy access to all manual controls, but shoot very well in auto also.

The canon underwater housings are good and won't break the bank.

There was a used one on here last week with housing.

Depends on a lot of things. List your budget... hard to make suggestions without that.

List your expectations also. Are you wanting shallow water / ambient light shots? On Camera flash? External flash? What depths will you be shooting at? Resolution / megapixels wanted? Do you want mostly just easy Auto... or do you want full control.. or somewhere in between?

How often do you dive.. and will this be used often? If not, renting is probably the best way to go.

I agree that the Canon S Series are excellent cameras. I still use my S90.

I also use Sealife's DC1200 and just purchased a DC1400 off eBay. These too are excellent camras for the novice dive photographer. The Canon does act better (more internal pre-programed settings) as a land camera than the Sealife, but for taking just plain pics both will do fine.

If I am not using an external flash, which is a good idea, I want a UW camera that has an easily settable White Balance; and again both of these cameras, the SeaLife and the Canon S Series do that. The HD Video is a nice feature.

IMO the SeaLife DC1400 is easier to use and is designed for the novice UW dive photoghaper. The Seal does not shot in RAW format for future editing if that is your thing. I have seen free Google Picture edting sofeware do nicely with Sealife pictures, but only minor quality adjustments.

The Canon S-Series is a great all-a-round camera, with a little practice can be just as simple, but is more versitle on land. It does allow RAW shooting and thus more room for afterwater adjustments.

If I had to pick just one for my very first UW camera I would pick a SeaLife DC1400 with a strope. :)

As others have said, it depends on your budget. For the money, the sale of the Olympus E-PM1 and Housing is a fabulous deal and is probably less expensive than just about any other camera and housing now available. With that package, you'd get a VERY good camera that can grow when, and if, you decide to do so (unlike a traditional point and shoot).

OTOH, if all you want to do is take some "Been there, done that" type of pictures, you might be better off with a SeaLife camera -- very simple and half the price.

There is no right answer.

There is no right answer.

Tell me about it...it was easier to convince the girlfriend that I really do need more scuba gear than to pick that next camera.:monkeydance:

Scuba is how you can take a $650 camera and make it cost $4000.

+1 on the S cameras, though I use an old SD500 ELPH point and shoot in a cannon housing and its perfect for me - small & light. If you're just a happy snap kinda person, this is the way to go, especially if you already have one, then it just the housing cost, which "can" be minimal. I usually find that video is the way to go on my camera, then rip a pic from that when I get home. Seems to compensate better for the lighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom