New to the diving world!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must be referring to Discover Scuba. It's more of a "let me try this as I'm not sure I'll like breathing underwater." I did a Discover Scuba as I was unsure. Went on to do OW.

If you KNOW you want to get your OW cert, don't bother doing the Discover Scuba. Just sign up for open water.

I mean the idea of breathing through a resp is definitley foreign and maybe uncomfortable to think about but I don't get claustrophobia or get panicked by the idea of it either so I THINK I should be good to shoot for ow :)

@wetb4igetinthewater I forgot to ask. Is there anything I should have prior to the first class like equipment or anything like that?
No. Do not buy any gear, except for a properly fitting mask. 8 provides good gear, good drysuits, etc.. They sell their used rental/student gear often to ensure that their equipment is in good shape. You might be interested in this when you look for a mask: The mask test doesn’t work. Remember, the most expensive mask may not be the best one for you. It is all about fit first (and low volume), and then peripheral vision.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! We will all follow your progress. Go get 'em!

No. Do not buy any gear, except for a properly fitting mask. 8 provides good gear, good drysuits, etc.. They sell their used rental/student gear often to ensure that their equipment is in good shape. You might be interested in this when you look for a mask: The mask test doesn’t work. Remember, the most expensive mask may not be the best one for you. It is all about fit first (and low volume), and then peripheral vision.

I know women dive so long hair isn't a big deal but I have very long hair should I braid it back to fit into my suit hood or tying back works fine?what about beards?

Also once again tysm for all your info I really appreciate it!

I know women dive so long hair isn't a big deal but I have very long hair should I braid it back to fit into my suit hood or tying back works fine?what about beards?

Also once again tysm for all your info I really appreciate it!
Lots of people dive with mustaches and beards. Vaseline or similar is used to establish a seal under the nose. Others opt to shave on top just enough to make direct contact with the mask. For long hair, how long? If it is just shoulder length, many people don't do anything However, if it is longer, say down to the mid back or longer, I would suggest braids or some means to avoid hair getting entangled with your cylinder valve or elsewhere on your BCD. While my hair is short, I have seen how loose line can get wrapped around everything! I imagine that hair would be the same.

One of the sub-forums is https://scubaboard.com/community/forums/womens-perspectives.5, which has many discussions on hair (as well as larger issues women often face).

As a guy with recently hair a few inches below the shoulder, I try to learn from their discussions. A ponytail, a hood, wrapping it around one side of the neck and tucking it on the chest inside the (wet) suit keeps it contained. Somewhere I saw a tie that you tie at intervals down the length of the ponytail, but I have not tried it. I could not imagine trying to do it without a hood.

Coconut oil or conditioner helps it not become too tangled. But the result after is far from stylish or even groomed. Slathering on diluted conditioner after, and carefully wide brushing it out restores some sense of grooming.

One of the sub-forums is https://scubaboard.com/community/forums/womens-perspectives.5, which has many discussions on hair (as well as larger issues women often face).

As a guy with recently hair a few inches below the shoulder, I try to learn from their discussions. A ponytail, a hood, wrapping it around one side of the neck and tucking it on the chest inside the suit keeps it contained. Somewhere I saw a tie that you tie at intervals down the length of the ponytail, but I have not tried it. I could not imagine trying to do it without a hood.

Coconut oil or conditioner helps it not become too tangled. But the result after is far from stylish or even groomed. Slathering on diluted conditioner after, and carefully wide brushing it out restores some sense of grooming.

Appreciate the input. I have super coarse hair for a guy and it goes about down to mid back. I dont mind having my GF braid it for me or even interval pony tail. I guess I would be more worried about mask seal due to my beard being about mid chest as well as a mustache. It looks as though there are fixes for tis. also tysm for the link!

Appreciate the input. I have super coarse hair for a guy and it goes about down to mid back. I dont mind having my GF braid it for me or even interval pony tail. I guess I would be more worried about mask seal due to my beard being about mid chest as well as a mustache. It looks as though there are fixes for tis. also tysm for the link!
Don't tuck your beard and hair into your dry suit neck seal. :p:confused::wink::cool:

Yes, there are fixes. Short is easiest of all! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom