New to SDI. Difference between certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Edward3c Would you have a clue what level of SDI training I would need to complete, to compare to my old Sports Diver training? Thanks.
You’d mostly need to do the Advanced Adventurer thing, and Rescue. Also TDI Deco Procedures, but nobody really does that without Advanced Nitrox and those two are quite an intense course. It really depends on what diving you want to do now, pretty fishes then the Advanced and Rescue, stuff like you used to do then TDI AN/DP is the current fashion for that.

contact head quarters (sdi) they will set you straight , or just look up centers or instructors in your area then interview them before deciding

contact head quarters (sdi) they will set you straight , or just look up centers or instructors in your area then interview them before deciding

Will do that. Just interested in getting back to the level I was at many years ago.

pm if I can help thx steve

First certified with BSAC over 30 years ago, and came back to diving and certified with SDI. Things have changed but I thought I would post this thread with what I think I understand about what I can and cannot do. Please correct if you know better.

Open Water
: Depth 60ft 18m

Advanced Adventure Diver
: Depth 100ft 30m
: This course is intended to introduce you to each of the five specialties selected; not complete comprehension of the chosen specialty. One dive from each of the chosen specialties may apply towards the completion of a specialty certification for the Advanced Scuba Diver Development Program.

Advanced Scuba Diver Development Program
: Four complete SDI, TDI, or ERDI specialty courses

To dive to a depth of 130ft 40m, you need to take the Deep Diver Course from the specialty courses.

It might be better to take the TDI Nitrox Diver course rather than the SDI Computer Nitrox Specialty Course, more in depth, same price, and is useful if you go to more technical diving, and want to take the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures courses.
Is the TDI advanced nitrox course normally the same price as SDI nitrox? I was just quoted 175 for one and 500 for the TDI advanced which was a bit of a shock though I do think the later requires a couple dives. I am beginning to question some prices at my LDS the sound quite high.

Is the TDI advanced nitrox course normally the same price as SDI nitrox? I was just quoted 175 for one and 500 for the TDI advanced which was a bit of a shock though I do think the later requires a couple dives. I am beginning to question some prices at my LDS the sound quite high.

If you're looking for the TDI "basic" nitrox course, that would just be TDI Nitrox.

Advanced Nitrox is for mixes 50% and higher. Pretty much for deco. It's often combined with Deco Procedures into one course.

The basic TDI Nitrox course is for mixes up to 40%.

t might be better to take the TDI Nitrox Diver course rather than the SDI Computer Nitrox Specialty Course, more in depth, same price, and is useful if you go to more technical diving, and want to take the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures courses.

If you're looking for the TDI "basic" nitrox course, that would just be TDI Nitrox.

Advanced Nitrox is for mixes 50% and higher. Pretty much for deco. It's often combined with Deco Procedures into one course.

The basic TDI Nitrox course is for mixes up to 40%.

I I may have gotten confused about these after rereading. I recalled this thread and thought TDI Nitrox was the more in depth which I was is what was stated. I think I dot TDI advance Nitrox and TDI Nitrox confused and asked the advance price. Not planning deco so no need there. But if a course for the same price offers more in depth training I would prefer it. I need to rephrase what I wanted to the LDS, TDI Nitrox vs SDI Nitrox. Now If they say the price is 500 and 175 respectively something will seem off.

Both the SDI and TDI Nitrox courses are for recreational divers, nitrox up to 40%.

SDI Nitrox is the basic recreational diver course, pretty much "computer nitrox."

TDI Nitrox is for recreational divers, but has the math, while the SDI NItrox course does not.

So, if you want a recreational nitrox course with the math, you want the TDI Nitrox course.

ETA: At my LDS, the SDI and TDI basic nitrox courses are the same price. TDI Adv Nitrox is $400.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom