New to scubadiving, buying a scuba gear package.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eap5424

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, new to this forum, and to scuba diving in general actually. Just got certified and am ready to get my own gear and explore the diving world. I was looking on amazon because it seems like they have the most well priced gear packages, but I don't fully know all of the brands well enough to make a decision yet. I am looking at
Cressi: Amazon.com: Cressi Air Travel BC Scuba Gear Dive Package Equipment: Sports & Outdoors

or

Oceanic:Oceanic Price-Buster Scuba Package, Regulator, BC, Octo, Computer, Diving Package, Diving Set, Scuba Set: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: Oceanic Islander 2 Travel BCD/Regulator Scuba Gear Package: Sports & Outdoors

Iv heard some not to stellar things about Cressi, but that's why i'm here, to get the dive community's opinions. Thanks in advance everyone

-Erich

Goto Dive Right In Scuba (DRIS) in Plainfield, IL and talk to Mike Pederson. Ask him to show you his Backplate and Wing (BP/W) and Edge / Hog regulators. Tell him your a member here and that you'd like him to show you the benefits of this type of gear. I think you'll find the prices very competitve also.

Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area.

Reg set: (About $432 dependin on selections )
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/d1epic-regulator-combo-p-3420.html

BP/W: (About $365 )
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/28lb-system-p-3070.html

That's $800 + tax.

Pkg's can be less expensive than buying pieces separately....But as a general rule each manufacture makes one particular piece of gear better than the rest of it's product line and/or the other manufactures.. It can also depend on whether it's an 'entry' level piece of gear or higher end...The higher end gear is more expensive, but if you really like diving and plan on using equipment regularly over a long time, you're better off spending the extra money....It's less expensive in the long run......As far as which brand, you'll get lots of opinions....Some of the favorites in reg's are Apeks, ScubaPro and Hog/Edge......In a buoyancy device you'll have to decide between a bp/wing or jacket style......There's two camps for that, most long time divers prefer bp/w for it's customize-ability, light weight and stream-line-ness......It can be used in just about any environment......Most equipment comes down to personal preference/budget and dive environment......My gear is a mix of many manufactures...Reg's from one, bp/w from another, computer from another, fins/mask from another.....Take your time selecting, research as much as you can [SB is a good place w/all kinds of info ].... Watch for sales on websites and here on SB.......Divers are always, buying, trading and selling gear here and you can save a lot of money and get good deals.......Good luck....

+1 for Dive Right In Scuba. I just did a mail order through them and found them to be a very responsive company.

I'll be bookmarking that site.

+2 on DRIS, the best I've dealt with when it comes to online ordering. Great customer service, and I love my bp/w.

+1 too for DRIS!

2 of the packages are travel packages. Planning to dive locally? They may not have enough lift if you dive in a full wetsuit since you'll need more weight to compensate. If you are planning to dive in Lake Michigan - especially to depth or in the colder months, you will likely need an environmentally sealed regulator to keep it from freezing up/free-flowing. That eliminatest the Alpha8/SP5 in the Price Buster package. Also it's non-balanced, balanced will work better at depth - where you need the air the most.

It also appears the Price Buster package is more designed for rental dive operations.
Designed to withstand the daily rigors of rental and training departments
It's also jacket BC - which is to be expected in that environment, you may like a back-inflate model better. It is of course personal preference. It's probably not an issue either but you might want to check with Prime Scuba about warranty coverage.

If you are only looking for a warm water travel package then the Price Buster isn't it either as the BC will be considerably bulkier than the other two.

Another possible option around that price is: The Midline Package discounts on sale Aeris from Scubatoys. They sell others also. And are highly regarded - everything they sell has a full mfr's warranty also.

I doubt it's a problem in the greater Chicago area but can you get the Cressi gear serviced nearby?

BP/W debate notwithstanding, I also think I'd drive to DRIS and talk things over with them first. Even if they're only close to being competitive - assuming there's tax added locally - it might be nice to have local support options.

Do you really want to buy gear from Amazon and take it somewhere locally to have it configured? Since you didn't buy it from them, the service charge might eat up any savings. They're not likely to do it for free since a local shop makes most of their money selling gear (and trips) and you've deprived them of the opportunity.

Know how to assemble/test the regulator? Check the Intermediate Pressure to be sure it's breathing optimally? - likely it will work if you just tighten the hoses and put it on a tank but it may not be optimized. It's likely Prime is just going to ship everything to you in sealed Mfr's boxes. There's no indication they do any pre-assembly/testing in their Amazon ad. Even threading the tank straps onto the BC is often times not particularly intuitive.

Scubatoys does - your gear comes as pre-configured as possible. I've even read of people calling them, describing their height/weight and a Scubatoys rep will look for someone of similar build to try gear on if asked. Also if it doesn't fit, they will exchange it - no questions asked. And often ship the new stuff while yours is in transit back to them. They ship fast also (of course so does Amazon...)

And if there is an issue with one item, although Amazon does have a simple return process, it's still a little hassle to get it replaced. I would guess that you'd either have to send the complete package back or work directly with Prime since Amazon is just acting as a re-seller. Since DRIS is a bricks/mortar store, you'd walk out of there with your gear fully assembled and tested.

Personally I wouldn't buy a BC (or wetsuit) online without trying it on first either. Being a new diver you won't likely know if it fits correctly until you dive it. At which point it's likely un-returnable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom