New to ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boater Dan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just wanted to offer my thanks for the opportunity to join the Board. I have tried other discussion boards and found them to be opinionated, self-promotional, and truthfully, a waste of time. I had spent some time last night reviewing areas of interest and found the responses to be much more professional, helpful, and truthful. A testament to the personnel involved. Thanks for the opportunity.

A little about myself. I dive primarily as a public safety diver for my fire department. While I would love to dive more, my time is consumed by family, home, fire department activities, and work. Last year I managed 8 total dives. 2 for drowning recoveries, 2 for police evidence recovery, 3 for equipment recovery at our marina, and I managed to squeeze in one total pleasure dive. The diving I do is low visibility river diving, lakes and ponds in the area, and an occaisional quarry (where you can actually see your hand in front of your face).

I have noticed that others have posted their equipment just as FYI!
- Dacor Rig Pro BC
- US Divers Conshelf Supreme (1st, 2nd, & Octo)
- Aeris 500ai Console
- OMS low pressure steel tanks (98 & 112)
- Akona 7mil one piece
- 3mm shorty
- Princeton Tech primary and backup lights
- AGA Positive Pressure Full Face Mask

I appreciate the opportunity to participate and would enjoy hearing from other Public Safety Divers to learn, share experiences, learn of funding sources, discuss equipment, concepts, and procedures, and to share SOP information.

Thanks,

Dan

Welcome Dan,
I too am from Pennsylvania however I am in Louisiana going to school for Commercial Diving. Being a Public Safety Diver maybe you should consider a Vulconized Rubber Drysuit to protect yourself from any hazards in the water (Bio, Chem etc..) especially recovering bodies etc... I have heard stories of Divers getting sick from diving in environments they were not aware were dangerous. Maybe you could get your Fire Department to send you to a Haz Mat class it may open your eyes to things you didn't realize. Well anyway Welcome to SB

Welcome and thanks for the kind words... we do try to make this the friendliest board possible, and still keep it relevent.

Welcome to SB!! :happywave Put us in your favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

I'll really appreciate your contributions...

don
:D

"I have tried other discussion boards and found them to be opinionated..."

er... none of that here... no sir.... :wink:

and welcome aboard!!

Toolbox-13:
Welcome Dan,
I too am from Pennsylvania however I am in Louisiana going to school for Commercial Diving. Being a Public Safety Diver maybe you should consider a Vulconized Rubber Drysuit to protect yourself from any hazards in the water (Bio, Chem etc..) especially recovering bodies etc... I have heard stories of Divers getting sick from diving in environments they were not aware were dangerous. Maybe you could get your Fire Department to send you to a Haz Mat class it may open your eyes to things you didn't realize. Well anyway Welcome to SB

In a prior life, I was at the Incident Command level for our County Haz-Mat Team. I had spent 12 years in this part of the fire service and I am well aware of the dangers. We (the dive team I am with) are in the process of writing a grant request to the National Fire Fighter Assistance Program to see if we might get lucky enough to get funding to go the drysuit/FFM route. I have bought my own FFM (AGA) for all of the normal reasons. Current, vis, contaminants, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom