New to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ruffsketch

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello! I grew up in the water and taught swimming and lifesaving for many years but just got certified for open water this last Aug. I'm looking forward to taking the Adv. open water course soon and hopefully getting to know other divers that can share their knowledge of skills and dive sites etc.

A trip to Hawaii and ten days of snokeling is what got me interested in scuba. I have yet to buy any equipment other than fins, snorkle and mask. There is sure a lot of options out there! Where to begin....where to begin.

I live near Spokane, WA and so far everyone I've talked to that does much diving recomends a dry suit. From what I've found out a dry suit is a min. of $1000. I haven't quite comvenced myself that the amout of diving I'll be able to do would warrent that much expence. I'm leaning toward a wet suit for that reason. At least until I have a few more dives under my belt.

There are so many brands and price ranges of BC's, regulators and other equipment its really hard to know what is worth buying and what isn't.

If there are any other people that live in the Spokane are that would be interested in going diving with me drop me a line. Looking out the window at the three feet of snow on the ground makes me wonder that I'm even thinking of water sports!:coffee:
Bob

Welcome to the board! Rent for a while to see what you like before buying gear. If you are going to dive locally you'll want to invest in a dry suit eventually...but it's a big purchase so you can put it off for a bit. I plan to buy one in the next year or two.

welcome aboard!!
talk to some of the local divers
see what suits they're wearing
more comfort-more bottom time-more you'll want to go
work on your kit after
have fun most of all!!!

Welcome to the board. Someone already said to hold off buying for awhile and I can't agree more. Rent for a while take some classes that your interested in and find out if you are a vacation diver or just crazy about it and want to do it no matter where you are. Then worry about gear choices

Welcome-

I'm in sunvalley and we have 5 feet of snow-

good luck on the gear, don't rush into anything

I live in Spokane and dive with a dive group every Tuesday night. Most of my diving has been between Pend Oreille Lake, Coeur d'Alene and the Spokane River so far, but I'm hoping to make a couple trips to Seattle before too long. Most of my gear is SCUBAPRO because I found it to be decently reliable and very worthwhile for what you get for the money. Maybe not necessarily what I'd get if I were doing technical diving, but that'd be quite a long ways off for me. If you want to go do any diving let me know. Or you can check out Home Page for the dive group I go with. Lately the sites have changed due to visibility, but there's A LOT of cool sites around here. Enjoy your diving!

Welcome to the board! Unfortunately, scuba isn't a cheap sport, so you buy the essentials and move on from there. There are many forums here that talk gear. The gear you buy is completely dependent on the type and conditions of diving you will be doing most of the time. The more informed you are about the gear, the more happy you will be with it in the future! TEST DIVE before purchase! You won't regret it!

Good luck!
Carolyn:sharks:

Thanks to the responces! I have been in contact with the group you mentioned and plan on going on some of the dives. I have been waiting for some warm weather as I havent certified or used a dry suit as of yet. From the looks of the morning today I think spring is finally here and am looking forward to some diving! Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Bob

Bob,
Welcome to the board. WA is dry-suit country. Water in the 40's is a bit much even for a heavy, thick restrictive 8mm suit! But as you are quite a drive to the ocean, rent for now and see how it goes. Dry suits are expensive, but deals can be found if you look sharp. I paid 1/3 of the normal price on a new suit by buying the display model from the store. It had been on the wall for a few years, but still new and a bargain. E-bay is an option to be sure but caution must be exercised. But for now, wait to see if diving is your cup of tea. Some vacation divers go diving a once a year, others, like me go most weeks (sometimes several times a week). So see what kind of diver you will be. You are geographically hampered on the WA/Idaho border such as you are to lakes, quarries and rivers and that may not be as much fun as I find the ocean to be. WA has some awesome ocean diving to be certain.

Anyway welcome.

Back
Top Bottom