New to scuba, going to Cozumel Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I am very centrally located in Cozumel at Casa Mexicana. I wonder if you have any opinions on whether I should cancel my week long car rental booking. Do dive schools in Cozumel usually provide transportation? I am also curious on how could I obtain the cruise ships' schedules. I am guessing it is better to avoid diving on the days they are visiting the island. Your insights? Thank you very much again, for all that have already responded. Hope you all in this community have a wonderful weekend!

No need for a car in town....cab it when necessary.

I have never rented a car in Cozumel. Most things are within walking distance. Walk to Mega, South of your hotel, and get Peso's from an ATM. Then use a cab if you need to go anywhere too far out of walking range. If you want to go to the other side of the island, just rent a car for a day. Many of the dive shops have hotel packages with Casa Mexicana. Some dive shops leave from the marina south of town and you have to get there on your own, some will take you to the marina from their shop and a few will pick you up from piers in town. if you go their webpages it is usually answered in the FAQ section.

If you can find a local shop and knock out your classroom and pool work, you would only have to do your check out dives in Cozumel, then go diving on normal charters. I have dove with Blue Magic and Aldora and can recommend them both. Tres Pelicanos and Blue XT Sea have terrific reputations and a loyal following on this board as well. We dive Aldora for the larger steel tanks and long dive times now.

We have never needed a car in Cozumel. Frankly, I would not want to worry about the parking and liability on vacation. Maybe rent one for a day and explore the other side of the island, but cabs are cheap and everywhere. Town is full of one way streets that are less than marked, scooters zip around everywhere, and some/most rental insurance does not cover lost wages to the victim in an accident. Make sure you ask. You are in Mexico and things work differently if there is an accident....and it will be your fault. ISIS has a good reputation on here as a rental company. The navigation on my phone works fine if needed when we are walking somewhere new.

With the exception of La Perlita for lionfish and lobster, there are more choices for food within walking distance than you could eat at in a week. If you even want lunch after the CM breakfast buffet, it means you ate light for breakfast.

Prepare to have one of the best times of your lives!!

Safe travels,
Jay

Looks like I am very centrally located in Cozumel at Casa Mexicana. I wonder if you have any opinions on whether I should cancel my week long car rental booking. Do dive schools in Cozumel usually provide transportation? I am also curious on how could I obtain the cruise ships' schedules. I am guessing it is better to avoid diving on the days they are visiting the island. Your insights? Thank you very much again, for all that have already responded. Hope you all in this community have a wonderful weekend!
As others have stated, you do not need a car. If you decide to do your OW certification with Blue Magic, they will handle all of your transportation for diving related matters.

Good luck! My best beginner advice for you:

1. Equalize EARLY on your way down - don't wait until you feel pressure/pain or it will be much more difficult to clear. I personally just equalize like every 2 feet / virtually non-stop the first 5 meters.

2. Make sure the instructor helps weight you properly, or you'll end up either having trouble descending or will blow through safety stops at the end

3. Practice sipping air slowly - around in for 4 seconds, out for 7-8 seconds.

4. Remember that near the end of your dive you'll need to let out air out of your BCD as you ascend

Most importantly, just stay calm. Slow is fast.

Also, while I haven't been to Coz, I have read quite a bit about beginners heading right to the cenotes. Be sure not to feel pressured or follow someone on a "trust me" dive in overhead environments that can be unsafe.

Back
Top Bottom